Is Minor Ptosis Best Left Alone?

I have what are considered "big" double eyelids, unfortunately I have ptosis in both eyes, a very small amount, about 0.5mm in right eye (covers A TINY portion of the black pupil) and about 1mm in left eye (covers also a tiny portion of the black pupil). I don't know whether to get this corrected or leave it alone; I don't think my vision is being blocked, but I think I might be straining my eyes at times..isn't ptosis only a problem if vision is being blocked?

Eyelid Ptosis correction at the time of upper blepharoplasty

+2

it is fairly a simple and easy procedure to correct mild eyelid ptosis at the time of upper blepharoplasty. In some patients aging causes small separation of the levator muscle attachment from the upper eyelid tarsus. this can be repaired very easily at the time of upper eyelid surgery. I encourange you to have it repaired, since it can get worse with aging.

When minor ptosis should be treated

+1

Since there is minor ptosis it all depends on how much visual obstruction is due to the eyelids. This is not lymphatic, but dynamic so make sure you check this at different times of the day. The upper lid is not supposed to be cutting across the black pupil part of the eye. This will only get worse over time and should probably be addressed. Both eyelids need to be treated for a successful result. Look for a board certified oculoplastic surgeon who has performed thousands of ptosis repairs as there is a 10-20% revision rate with this type of surgery.  

Eyelid Surgery Option for Droopy Upper Lid

+1

Hi 155151anon in Los Angeles, CA,

Minor sagging, drooping, or ptosis of the upper eyelid does not necessarily need improvement with plastic surgery. Yes, as other plastic surgeons have mentioned, droopy upper eyelids can block your visual fields and reduce vision. Eye strain could be a sign of significant eyelid ptosis. However, if you don't notice any visual problems, especially after comprehensive visual testing, then nothing further is necessary.

If you are considering cosmetic upper eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) to improve the appearance of the "big" eyelids, then an eye lift in addition to a small of sagging skin removal may be the an option to consider. Lastly, asymmetry is very common, and largely considered essentially normal by plastic surgeons. While plastic surgery may improve eye symmetry, it may not completely correct it.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can an eye plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis

+1

An eye exam is scirtical to assess if anything at all would be necessary for you.  Mild ptosis that is asymmetric and does not bother you, does not have to be treated.

Eyelid ptosis

+1

From the measurements you have made, you have a slight to moderate amount of upper lid ptosis.  Unfortunately, as you age, you may find that the ptosis increases because your muscle that lifts the lid is weakened.  I would suggest a visual field exam to document your present field of gaze.  You may find that you would benefit at this time to repair it. However, if you do not feel the need to improve it now, you could wait an see what happens over time.  Keep in mind that you have a high likelihood of needing surgical repair in the future.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Minor Ptosis Best Left Alone

+1

Impossible question to accurately respond to over the internet. You need an intensive eye examination by a boarded surgeon IN PERSON! There are many things that can not be diagnosed over the internet. The minor upper eyelid ptosis can be corrected but there are many measuremets needed to make a decision if you are a true candidate. 

Correction of Eyelid Ptosis

+1

The upper eyelid normally rests just below the top of the iris (the colored area of the eye). It does not come even close to the pupil (the central black portion). You, therefore, have significant ptosis. It is hard to imagine that you do not have some symptoms from this. Symptoms can vary from “eye strain,” tilting the head up to see, to severe headaches from constantly using the forehead muscles. Usually, with as much droop as you have, surgery is indicated. “Big, double eyelids” may be worsening the problem, but are probably not the total cause. You need a consult with an Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeon with significant experience with cosmetic as well as ptosis repair.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

You have more than a tiny amount of ptosis

+1
Normally the upper eyelid margin should rest between the edge of the pupil and where the colored part of the eye meets the white of the eye called the limbus. So the description of your eyelid position suggests that you have 2.5 mm of ptosis. That is significant but that does not mean that you need surgery. If your eyelids don't bother you, the best advice is to not worry about it.

Ptosis of the eyelids

+1

In answer to your question about ptosis:

This condition will not get better without surgery and is likely to only get worse.  Assuming you are healthy, my recommendation would be to proceed with repair.....rather than waiting until you are elderly at which time there might be contraindications to the surgery.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Options for ptosis repair of the upper eyelids

+1

You have several options.   If you are not bothered by the minor degree of eyelid ptosis then the best choice is to leave alone.  At this point it seems that your vision has not been impaired.  If a time comes and you have superior field of vision obstruction due to your eyelids then a ptosis procedure may be indicated.  It is also possible that if you have the heavy skin of your upper lids removed during a blepharoplatsy your minor degree of ptosis may also be improved.  A photo would be helpful.