Is It Possible to Get Only a Minor Change with Otoplasty?

Hello, I have ears that stick out quite a lot. I am considering otoplasty. However, I don't want my ears to be flat against my head. Also I would rather others didn't notice that I had this operation. Would it be possible to get only a minor change with otoplasty, so that my ears would still protrude but look aesthetically? I mean, to lessen the angle they protrude only a little. Thank you.

Adjustability of Otoplasty

The degree of recession or pinning back of the ears in otoplasty surgery is very adjustable. Since this is a suture technique, where the sutures are placed and how much they are tightened has a lot of variability. I would discuss your goals and fears with your surgeon so they clearly understand how much change you prefer.

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Otoplasty surgery may be tailored for your specific needs.

The goal of otoplasty surgery is to produce un-operated, natural-looking ears which ought not to be flat against your head. You should choose a facial plastic surgeon experienced in the art of otoplasty surgery to achieve a desired result.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

1500 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ 07052

Natural result after otoplasty

The degree of change and angle can be changed after otoplasty surgery.  Speak about your aesthetic concerns with a knowledgeable otoplasty surgeon.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

845 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

Changes with otoplasty...

Otoplasty should create a natural shape to the ears in a way that no one will notice that surgery has been performed.  The incision is in the crease behind the ears and the reshaping is done with stitches inside of the ear, so nothing will show after surgery.  If the surgery is performed correctly, the ears should still protrude a little bit from the head.  It does not look natural when the ears are flat on the head.  An experienced surgeon can make the adjustments so the proper position is achieved.  So in answer to your question, you can certainly have a minor change in your ears with otoplasty.  Be sure to see a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

1150 Amboy Ave
Edison, NJ 08837

Minor Change with Otoplasty

An experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon can adjust the otoplasty procedure to meet your needs and objectives. Ensure you communicate clearly your goals so your surgeon can understand what you are seeking. The surgeon should seek natural looking results.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Minor Change with Otoplasty

The key to getting the results you expect, is surgeon/patient communication.  During your consultation, talk to your surgeon about your desired results.  It is very possible to get a minor change with an otoplasty.  This surgery makes very happy people.  Good luck to you.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

Minor change with otoplasty is possible

While it is possible to under-do the otoplasty operation, it is important that you do not want to have to come back at a separate time to bring it back even more.  The end result that you are trying to achieve should be permanent because performing a revision otoplasty is always harder than the primary.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Achieving Minor Changes with Otoplasty Surgery?

Yes, it is possible  (and preferable)  not to set back the ears  too much during otoplasty surgery. You are correct in that over correcting the position of the ears  can be problematic and a potential telltale sign that the patient has had otoplasty surgery.

Communicate your goals clearly with well experienced plastic surgeons.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

The goal of otoplasty surgery is to recreate a more normal looking ear but also listen to the patient and try to achieve the goals that they desire.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028