Minocycline: Long Lasting or Quick Fix?

I am a 27 year old male with moderate acne my whole life(breakouts more severe once I quit smoking 6 months ago). I eat healthy, well balanced diet,excercise daily, don't smoke or drink.

My doctor put me on Minocycline, Clindamycin, Differin and Aczone. Unfortunantly my insurance capped out after Minocycline and Clindamycin. Is it worth paying cash for the other 2 products or are they just temporary results?

Will Minocycline help me long term or is it also just a quick fix? Thank you.

Minocycline and creams for acne work

+2

The minocycline with the Differin is a great combination...just give it ~ 4weeks to "kick-in".

My philosophy in addressing acne is:  to get quick control with several treatments then to taper off to 1 or 2 products to maintain control. 

Acne starts with clogged pores/follicles and is then exacerbated by bacterial overgrowth and inflammation.  "Retinoid" creams help prevent pores from clogging and are therefore an essential "ingredient" in any good acne treatment. 

"Retinoids" include products such as Differin, Retin-A and others.  The Differin should certainly be used (in the short term and the long term) and the minocycline (which fights bacteria and inflammation) might just be necessary for 2-3months or so, with the goal of switching over to a cream antibiotic or just the Differin alone to maintain acne control.  Hope this helps 

Baton Rouge Dermatologist

Oral Antibiotics for Acne

+1

I prescribe a combination of oral antibiotics with a topical regimen to many patients.  As the acne improves over 3-6 months, it is usually possible to taper the oral antibiotics to a less frequent regimen or stop them completely while the topical regimen maintains the patient in relative remission.  However, oral antibiotics do not function like Accutane which provides durable remission to most patients.  As always, I recommend consulting a board certified dermatologist so a treatment regimen can be tailored to your individual condition.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist