I Have Some Odd Bulging After Lower Blepharoplasty? (photo)

I had lower eyelid surgery 8 days ago and most of the swelling has subsided; hower in its place I've developed some narrow bulges along the eye socket. The bulges feel harder to the touch than just swelling experienced after surgery and is better in the morning and gets progressively worse through the day. I have not seen any other patients with this issue online and I'm really concerned that this is permanent. What is the cause and will it go away or am i going to need revision surgery?

Swelling After Lower Blepharoplasty

+1

After evaluating your pictures, you still have a fair amount of swelling in the lower lid area.  At 8 days after surgery this is not uncommon at all.  I suggest that you be patient and allow the eyelid to heal.  You will have to allow at least 3 mos of healing time before you can judge your outcome.  In the meantime followup with your surgeon for evaluation as recommended.  Good Luck

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulging lower lids

+1

Susan

Eight days is too early to get concerned about an eyelid result.  You need time in the range of months to get to your final endpoint, so stay patient and continue to communicate your concern with your surgeon.  I tell patients that their final result from lower lids is not fully apparent until 6 mos post op.

The surgery will create swelling, so results are obscured early.  That swelling can be in the fatty region of the surgery, in the skin/muscle layer, or most likely both.  Plus the skin can be loose and ballooned out from your presurgery fullness, and will need time to contract to the new contour.  So you have multiple dynamics going in your favor.  My guess is you will see significant improvement daily for another week, then things will slow but continue.  

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Edema

+1

From the photos, it seems to me that there is still significant edema [swelling] in the eyelids. Continue to be patient and allow your eyes/eyelids to heal. With time the swelling will improve. I wouldn't worry about the results until you are about 3 months out from surgery. At that point, a more objective evaluation will be possible.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bulging After Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

After only 8 days following your procedure, I would expect for you to have some swelling.  The swelling will vary from patient to patient.  Please follow up with your surgeon so that you can be monitored and followed.

Michael Sundine, MD

Swelling after blepharoplasty

+1

I must say I continue to be baffled that patients would ask questions to complete strangers very early after surgery instead of asking/trusting their own surgeons.  That said, 8 days is still very early after lower blepharoplasty and what you describe is likely still swelling.  Definitely ask your surgeon.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon