Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Option? (photo)

I am a 21 year old mother of two girls. I had My daughters back to back so one is 2 and the other is 6 months. I used to have a great body. Now my tummy has stretchmarks and loose skin. By looking at my pictures, is the only successful fix a tummy tuck, or would I be able to benefit from lipo. (I am scared of the TT surgery.)

Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Option?

+2

You can find any number of "cosmetic spas" that will offer you liposuction with ultrasound and lasers and vasers and other types of devices in order to give you the tight youthful skin you had before pregnancy. They simply do not work so I hope you don't waste your finances on them. A full abdominoplasty will give you the best of the results available.

Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Option

+2

Liposuction works for excess fat, not for loose skin, and that is the main issue here. Lipo would probably make the overhang worse and would accentuate the loose skin by removing some of its structural support. 

A tummy tuck is the right procedure, and should give you a nice result. When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Is tummy tuck the only option?

+1

Thanks very much for your question.  Based on your photos I would say that the only way that you will be able to remove your stretch marks on your abdomen is via a tummy tuck.  Based on your photos it looks like you are an ideal candidate for this type of procedure.  I can't tell from your photos if you had a c-section with your pregnancies but if that was the case then, again, a tummy tuck will only extend your current scar a small amount with significant improvement in the overall appearance of your abdomen.  Hope this helps somewhat.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or lipo

+1

You are an absolutely greasy candidate for a full tummy tuck, not lipo. Even though there is a long scar, it can easily be designed so you can wear a bikini again with your new rockin' bod! Tummy tuck is not the only option, but is definitely the best.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Option?

+1

It's not the only option but it is certainly the best option as far as is possible to tell from pictures. Liposuction removes extra fat not skin so would not only not address your problem but would probably make it worse. Good luck to you. I would expect a tummy tuck to give you a very nice result.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Thermage

+1

People who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new positon.

A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Thermage® is now a safe, non-invasive, radiofrequency (RF) cosmetic procedure that’s clinically proven to help smooth, tighten and contour skin for an overall younger looking appearance. The treatment delivers natural looking results with little to no downtime —on all skin colors, on and off the face, all in a single procedure. Fast and easy, you can even come in during your lunch break and return to work after!

Thermage® uses radiofrequency technology to heat the deep, collagen rich layers of your skin. The heat helps tighten existing collagen and stimulate the formation of new collagen, which reduces sagging, renews contours, and improves the smoothness and texture of the skin’s surface. Comfort Pulse Technology, including a vibrating handpiece delivers enhanced patient comfort

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

A Tummy Tuck is the Best Option

+1

Dear MissLiss,

Thank you for sending in photos, they are very helpful. I agree with my colleagues that a tummy tuck is the best option for you. Liposuction and the various "non-invasive" procedures will not tighten your loose skin and in some cases(liposuction) may make things worse.Your concerns are genuine, but rest assured, this will give you the best result. Please seek a consultation with an experienced BC plastic surgeon in the Minneapolis area, myself included. Good luck. Dr. G.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck will remove your stretch marks

+1

Based on your photos a tummy tuck would give you the best outcome and remove your excess skin and stretch marks. Liposuction of your abdomen will not give you a good result and can create an irregular contour. Be cautious if someone attempts to convince you of doing liposuction just because that's the procedure you want to hear them say. Consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons before making your decision.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Option?

+1

Any type of liposuction WILL NOT address the excess skin and stretch marks. Yes, a full TT would be best option. 

Tummy Tuck the Only Option

+1

If I were going to advise you I would do a short scar tummy tuck that only extends over the area of laxity.  This will save you about half the scar of the traditional scar.  You can also have liposuction of your flanks to tighten your waist.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA