Tummy Tuck Safe 1 Year After C-section with Mesh on Uterous?

Ten months ago i had a repeat c-section. I had a uterine window and had to have a mesh placed in. I'm curious if this would be an issue with a tummy tuck? I want to ask the doctor who did my c-section, but I'm not sure if she would know. I'm not looking to have the tummy tuck until december of this year so it'd be more than a year since my mesh was placed.

Tummy Tuck Safe 1 Year After C-section with Mesh on Uterus?

+1

The uterus is within the abdominal cavity and is far away from the plication needed for a tummy tuck. So this should be safe. 

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after C-section

+1

A tummy tuck should be safe after almost any type of c-section.  It is wise to wait for about 1 year after the c-section.The abdominal wall should be completely healed and deeper scarring minimized by that time.  If you discuss this with them prior to surgery, a board certified plastic surgeon will have the skill required to make this a "non-issue".   Congrats and good luck. 

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Is a Tummy Tuck Safe After C-Section with Mesh on the Uterus?

+1

Thanks for your question. Yes, the fact that your physician needed to place mesh on your uterus should have no bearing on your tummy tuck. The tummy tuck is performed at a much more superficial level, and the uterus will not be exposed in any way during that procedure. Good luck!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes,the tummy tuck can be performed safely.

The procedure is done without entering the abdominal or pelvic cavity--it is all outside the abdominal wall. Whatever was needed to close the uterus should be safely away from the surgical field for a tummy tuck. 

All the best. 

Tummy Tuck after C-section

+1

Thank you for your question.   We commonly perform tummy tuck's on women with multiple gyn surgeries and find it is very safe to perform at 1 year post c-section.

The most important decision is to ensure that you are done having children.  If your mesh is around the uterus, it should have no impact on your tummy tuck.  We do not cut the muscle, as in a c-section,  where the uterus and mesh would be exposed.    The muscle is simply plicated or folded to help achieve a flat contour.

Paul S. Gill, MD