Will my Breasts Get Bigger? (photo)

I just had my Mommy Makeover on Sept 19th, and I guess I wasn't planning on my breasts being quite this big. I went with 600cc HP silicone under the muscle, because the 500cc sizers didn't look that big, and I wanted to be a full DD. I am measuring now at 34i!! I hear conflicting things about they will be smaller when the swelling goes down, or bigger when the pectoral muscle relaxes and they drop. I know it's hard to tell from a photo, but any input is appreciated!!

Mommy makeover and swelling

After breast augmentation, breasts always appear larger because of swelling and muscle spasm. Over time the swelling subsides and spasm relax and breast appear more natural and slightly smaller. Swelling will last around 2 to 3 weeks and spasms up to 3 months.

As swelling resolves, the "high, tight" look will diminish, and the projection will improve as your tissues relax and stretch.

As swelling diminishes, volume will decrease slightly (you don't have much bruising--good), and your pectoralis muscles and breast skin will stretch and soften, allowing your implants to drop behind your own breast tissues better, giving you a more natural teardrop shape and possibly slightly better projection.

As Dr. Repta stated, this can give patients the perception of more volume, but this is better projection and improved shape, not a true size increase.

You should trust your pre-operative assessment; I suspect you will look just great and be happy with your size as time goes by. But wait at least 6 months before any consideration of size change--sooner is truly premature (as it is usually unnecessary!) and ill-advised.

Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breasts will not get bigger

With the 600 cc implant upper fullness is a given as the lower pole of the breast and muscle must have time to relax and give for everything to settle in together. Your breast will not get any bigger, and the perceived volume will diminish as the skin gives to accomodate the implants.

Hello

Usually what happens is that once the swelling goes down and the muscle relaxes. When the swelling subsides it will downsize about 5% and when the muscle relaxes it will let the implant fluff out.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Will my breasts get bigger?

• I do not think you have to worry about your breasts getting larger
  • There may be a slight reduction in size as the swelling goes down
  • If you feel that the implants are too large--you can either wait to see if you get used to the change or plan on going back to surgery for placement of smaller implants

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size Changes After Implants

Your breasts should get somewhat smaller, and the shape will improve as the implants drop.  This usually happens between the 3rd and 4th week after surgery.  They shouldn't appear bigger.

Breast augmentation size cannot be determined immediately after surgery due to swelling

The results of breast augmentation are very difficult to determine immediately after surgery.  The swelling and the position of the implants in the first 6 weeks of surgery will change a great deal and so it is not accurate to decide whether you have made the right choice with regard to size just yet.  So, for now, don't worry!  Allow your body to heal and then decide.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Changes after BA

It's been less than a week after your surgery so relax. You have a lot of swelling which will go down over the next 2-3 months. So far they look fine.

Will my Breasts Get Bigger?

Thank you for the picture and the question. You are very early out from your surgery. At this point your breast are inflamed and scarring is taking place at the operative site. Over the next 3 to 6 months the swelling and scarring process will subside and the breast tissues will accommodate allowing the implants to drop into their desired location. Your breasts will fill out, but will not necessarily enlarge and may actually lose size as the swelling you see in them now will dissipate.

Be patient as it is far too early to make any judgements on your outcome. Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and make sure you communicate your concerns. I hope this helps.

It may take 3-6 months for implants to drop.

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change.During this phase of healing, muscle spasm, swelling and the healing process itself all contribute to changes in the appearance of women’s breasts.In some cases, swelling and muscle spasm can displace implants in a superior direction when implants are placed beneath the muscle.Based on your pictures, I believe this is a distinct possibility.
With time, assuming adequate pocket dissection, these implants might return to a more normal position.Sometimes, the use of a bandeau superiorly and massage may facilitate this process, but again, this usually takes time to occur.It may take 3 to 6 months for these implants to drop into a normal position.If no progress has occurred by then, revisional surgery may be necessary.This would involve recreating the lower portions of the breast implant pocket.
It’s important to have good communication with your plastic surgeon.Make sure he is aware of your concerns.He is familiar with the specifics of your surgery and will be able to give an appropriate recommendation.