Ask a doctor

Being overweight/obese, what should I look for/seek in having an abdominoplasty done for strictly medical reasons?

Prior to our 2nd baby I was an internationally competitive/elite lifter. While pregnant, my abs spread approx. 5" which makes lifting/getting to the gym impossible because of it being symptomatic. Doc assured there isn't a full hernia but at a very high risk of developing one. I'm overweight (~300lbs.), not really interested in the procedure for the "tummy tuck" aspect, but the get my kiester SAFELY back into the gym/get healthy again aspect. Where do I start in finding a PS for the job?

Doctor Answers 4

When to have tummy tuck?

I think that if you weight 300lbs you need to focus on losing weight with a weight loss specialist or a bariatric surgeon or both first.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor

When Should I Have My Tummy Tuck?

Dear HHF34, My advice to you is to discuss weight loss surgery with a bariatric surgeon in the Twin Cities. Performing an abdominoplasty at your current weight adds significant risk to the procedure and maintaining the rectus repair as well. Also, once you are able to lose the weight, your results will change dramatically and your skin will most likely need to be removed again. Again, please consult with a bariatric surgeon to discuss surgical weight loss options if you are unable to lose the weight on your own. Good luck. Dr. Gervais.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 115 reviews


I truly believe you should be enjoying a much healthier, better quality life acknowledging you are a very young patient. That separation of the muscle is called dyastasis and that is not a life threatening condition but definitely something that has to be fixed because it cause a lot of discomfort and sometimes pain.

You have to know that performing a Tummy Tuck or panniculectomy is very risky on your current weight, and sadly to say, that procedure will not improve much your life.

Your BMI is over 45 and you are in the border of being considered a morbid obese patient.

I will encourage you to really consider to do something permanent as is the Gastric Sleeve or Bypass That procedure will help you and teach you to eat smaller portions of food and it will be your responsibility to eat the best quality of food possible to maintain your weight.

The permanent weight loss surgery will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthier life now and in the future.

Have a great journey

Dr. Cardenas


These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.