Will I Get Good Results with a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I have my surgery scheduled for Sept 19th. I for some reason have a weird fear that I will come out looking the same, or even worse. I have a great PS, and I have total faith in him and his abilities, but I can't help it for some reason. I will be doing a BA, TT, and he does lipo with the TT on the flanks and upper stomach. So do you think I will get good results? And do you think I should ask to do lipo of my thighs?? Or will they respond to more exercise unlike my belly has? Thanks!

Do You Think I Am A Good Candidate For A Mommy Makeover?

+1
Based on the photographs you provided, I think you make an excellent candidate for a Mommy Makeover.  If you have done your due diligence and have chosen a Board Certified plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, checked out his before and after pictures, had a complete and clear explanation of each procedure, and spoken to at least one of his Mommy Makeover patients, then I think you have an excellent chance of an outstanding result. 
The Mommy Makeover is a compilation of surgeries with a very high degree of satisfaction, as noted in the Real Self "Was It Worth It" listing.  It's normal to have preoperative jitters, but since you have done your homework and found a great plastic surgeon, all should go very well. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

I bet you'll be thrilled with you BA, TT and lipo

+1

Thanks for the post and the photos.  I suspect you'll get great results from the procedure you have planned.  The BA will restore your volume, and the tummy tuck with treat the changes from pregnacy.  I would encourage you to do the lipo on the outer thighs, b/c if you don't I suspect you'll wish you had once you've recovered.  Very few patients regret having liposuction on their outer thighs, and I think this will create harmony with the overall outcome.  Best of luck!

Dr. Kaufman

David L. Kaufman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make Over Results

+1

Your photos show that changes that your Mommy Make Over should correct:

• Loss of abdominal muscle support
  • Sway back as a result of loss of muscle support
  • Small breasts
  • Some fat on the sides and upper abdomen.

You should have a very nice result, barring a complication.

What about the thigh liposuction? Optional. Discuss it with your surgeon. If time allows and the cost makes sense to you - it would be nice to do it at the same time.

Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Mommy Makeover is associated with very high rates of patient satisfaction

+1

Hi there-

You look like you are a great candidate for a Mommy Makeover- and if you have chosen an excellent surgeon for all of the right reasons, and you are a good patient who follows all instructions carefully, I would expect you to have a great experience and outcome.

Congratulations!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Based on what you have shown, you appear to be a good candidate for a mommy makeover.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Based on what you have shown, you appear to be a good candidate for a mommy makeover and will likely enjoy the benefits. It is normal to be nervous before surgery.

As long as you have done your homework to make sure that your plastic surgeon is board-certified, you are a good candidate to have surgery, and had all of your questions answered.

More exercise in not going to make the excess skin go away.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Nervous before mommy makover, tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1

A certain amount of anxiety is very normal before any procedure. You will not look the same after and should enjoy a very nice result after your procedure. Go through a mental checklist to make sure you and your surgeon have all the details worked out, breast size, abdominal scar, recovery issues, and that you have the home front prepared so you can recover with confidence.

Is your "gut" telling you something you don't want to hear?

+1

Thanks for including photos; they really help to give better answers here, rather than vague generalizations. Your later comment indicated you have chosen an experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, and your "weird fear" that you might look the same or even worse is likely just natural and understandable 'butterflies" before surgery.

With your anatomy, you should have a truly superior result with breast augmentation and tummy tuck. Make sure a muscle repair WILL be done, not just "we'll see if you need it." This is a "shortcut" that all too many surgeons feel that they can "get away with" and it is an error in almost every case--if you need a tummy tuck, your muscles need to be tightened!

Liposuction of the flanks (I call this area the hip rolls) is both common and appropriate, and usually enhances your results. The upper abdomen frequently does benefit from liposuction as well, but over-aggressive suction in this area can damage the blood supply to the mid and lower abdominal skin flap tissues, causing ischemia (poor circulation) or even dead skin. This is a surgical disaster, and thus the choice to perform upper abdominal suction at the same time as abdominoplasty should be a cautious one. I'd rather do a later touch-up procedure to address this area (and any others that need it) rather that have to explain why and how we will be treating the dead skin, and the several operations needed to try to salvage some sort of reasonable cosmetic result. SO while this can be just fine in expert hands, perhaps this is ringing your inner bell of concern.

As far as the thigh liposuction goes, this is entirely reasonable, and will likely yield nice improvments, particularly as the hips (flanks) are being contoured at the same time. It adds little risk or time, nearly nothing to increase your recovery, and costs less now than later. Only you can answer the "responds to exercise" question.

My earlier answer was based on the fact that there are "cosmetic" surgeons board-certified by boards that have nothing to do with plastic surgery, who may be certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (NOT "real" plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery), who operate here in the Minneapolis area. I thought that maybe your fears were based on your "inner voice" alerting you to these concerns. 

You are in good hands, and although no surgeon can "guarantee" outcomes, you should do quite well. And certainly with a much higher likelihood of a splendid result than with a non-ABPS-certified "cosmetic surgeon." 

Not that I or any ABPS-certified plastic surgeon is "perfect" or does not have complications of our own. What we DO HAVE is the complete training, ABPS certification that says we have completed the requirements for certification as a plastic surgeon, and the experience that will minimize your risks, maximize your surgical results, and ensure your safety! You can also rest assured that your ABPS-certified plastic surgeon will be operating at a nationally-accredited facility (even if in an office surgical facility), since ABPS certification REQUIRES that ALL facilities where ABPS members operate (including office surgical facilities) are nationally-accredited (JCAHO or AAAASF), just as we are.

Since your surgeon checks out on these measures, you certainly have the potential for a splendid result!  Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety before Mommy Makeover?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I'm sure that you are aware that some anxiety prior to undergoing any type of surgery is normal and to be expected. Based on your pictures alone,  there is no reason why you should not end up with a great results after breast  augmentation and tummy tuck surgery. It sounds like you have done your due diligence and chosen your plastic surgeon carefully;  this is a critical decision. Make sure you communicate your goals clearly with him/her.

You may find the following words of advice I give my patients helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Nervous before surgery

+1

You should get a great result. Your breasts have a great shape. You will get rid of all that extra skin of your lower tummy ( You probably will lose that tattoo - FYI ). It's normal to get nervous before surgery. Have faith in your surgeon. It sounds like you've done your homework. I would probably delay the extra liposuction.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Will I Get Good Results with a Mommy Makeover

+1

As I look at your photos, I think you have every reason to expect a nice outcome of our breast enlargement and TT. You can expect noticeable improvement in both areas. 

As far as the thighs go, you should also expect a nice improvement there if you elect to proceed with liposuction.  I don't know if they will respond to more diet and exercise, and would ask you if they have changed much so far?

Thanks for the question, best wishes.