Tummy tuck drains dark red and thick. Should I be concerned?

I had a tummy tuck 10 days ago I had 3 drains put in and am now down to one. The fluid was turning a light yellowish color but now has turned a dark red and is thick about 50cc every 8 hours or so. Is this normal I spoke with my surgeon and he said it was fine but I am still concerned. I feel very swollen and I also started my period today. I guess my question is why is it so dark and is there a point where it is to much?

Tummy Tuck Drainage

+1
 Dear Wenlu,  What you are describing sounds normal. There is a range of color and volume changes that occur. The important thing is that your surgeon is aware of and following your drainage output. Good luck. #Dr. Gervais

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Drainage After A Tummy Tuck

+1
Drainage After A Tummy Tuck

There is a range of normal drainage, it generally slows down over a few days and becomes lighter and more clear each day.

TT drainage is dark red- a problem?

+1
Hi Wenlu.

I enjoy doing quite a lot of tt's.  The drainage tends to change in color over time from bright red to darker red to pink to a straw color, while decreasing in volume.

At 10 days, your volume doesn't seem extreme, as long as your doctor is in the loop.

It is likely that you moved in a certain way, or more likely, some blood clots at this point in time are starting to liquify and be drained.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Some old blood

+1
It's not uncommon to have some bloody drainage that is prolonged. Hang in there and this should slow down. 

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon