Any doctors with experience injecting Voluma to augment the jaw angles? What are your thoughts?

Given the relatively recent approval of Juvaderm Voluma in the US, what are you thoughts or experiences for using this to augment the jawline (back third or mandibular angles) and how does this compare to other fillers available? It seems to be at a lower price point and lasts longer. I have come across reviews for addressing cheek issues and so forth but as much regarding the male jawline.

Voluma to Augment the Jaw

+1
Yes, Voluma can be used effectively (Off Label) to augment the jawline (back third or mandibular angles). It should compare favorably and probably longer than Radiesse which is often used in my practice for this area prior to Voluma being made available. 

Voluma to shape the jawline

+1
Voluma is a great filler for shaping the cheeks, jawline and temples, although it is an off-label (but legally allowed) use outside the cheek area.  Make sure to find an experienced dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon who has used fillers in this area for a long time.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for mandibular augmentation

+1
Please see a plastic surgeon with experience in this area.

I have found HA fillers to be useful to augment the mandibular.  However, this in an "off-label" use of the product and, as such, a complete understanding of risks, benefits, and "off-label" use must be understood by the patient.

Timothy Connall, MD

Voluma for jaw angles

+1
I have found Voluma to be a wonderful filler for the jaw angles, where a lot of lift is needed to achieve a good result.  This is an area that is 'off-label,' as much of what we do in medicine is.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Voluma is a good choice for jaw angle augmetation

+1

Augmenting the jawline is best suited to the stiffest of fillers - Voluma, Perlane, and Radiesse. These tend to be the best choices in the cheeks and temples as well.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rheologic properties of Juvederm Voluma and its applications

+1
Juvederm Voluma is an excellent choice for augmenting the jawline for several reasons.  It has has a greater tendency to resist deformation than Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus, and it is more highly cohesive.  What this means is that it will hold its shape better than many other fillers.  

The second distinct advantage of Juvederm Voluma (and the other hyaluronic acids) is that they can immediately be dissolved if there is dissatisfaction regarding the appearance.    

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Voluma to augment jaw angles

+1
The reason that you are only coming across articles about using Voluma in the cheeks is because this is where it is approved to use. Now, we all know that fillers are used in "off-label" locations, so there will be more coming out over time about using Voluma in other locations, like the jaw, or NLF (for people with very deep lines), or whatnot, but at this time, since the product has only been out since November, most physicians are still only comfortable using it in the approved areas. Personally, I haven't used it in the jawline. But I can see its purpose there and that it could be a great filler for people who need a significant amount of volume change and a larger particle size. If you are looking for more of a chiseling affect, I think Radiesse could work better there.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD