What is the Minimum Duration Reported for Fillers and Botox?

I have had lip injections (twice) with beautiful initial results. However within two weeks, my lips were back to their normal size with the visible filler above and below the lips. I also had Botox in my forhead and around my mouth with filler added to my cheeks. The initial outcome was fabulous. These proceedures were done in November '10 and now February '11, I can move my forehead and all wrinkles are visiable and my lovely cheeks are no more.

Duration of Botox and Fillers

+1

Generally speaking, the hyaluronic acid fillers last 6-12 months, although areas of the face that move a great deal (e.g. lips), the duration can be 2-6 months, but some people are outside the average range. Botox generally lasts 3-4 months, and like fillers, over time appears to last a bit longer. Other fillers such as Radiesse can last longer, but because they are injected deep, are not to be used in the lips. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers Duration

+1

Botox typically lasts 3 - 4 months.  Juvederm typically lasts 6 - 9 months. In some patients, the product needs to be injected in the lips every 3 months to maintain a preferred look.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox has a duration of several months

+1

Botox has a duration of several months however the response is dose dependent, which means that some patients get a result with a low Botox dose while others require a higher dose to obtain the same result.  The level of muscle relaxation also varies with Botox and if your muscles were not fully relaxed, your movement may have been seen as the Botox wearing off prematurely.  I like to do a complete Botox treatment followed by a full second treatment at one month.  This typically gets good results and patients then come for re-treatments at 4-6 month intervals.

As far as Cheek Augmentation with fillers, I prefer using Perlane that lasts 8-9 months or Radiesse that can last up to 1 year.  Thinner fillers like Restylane and Juvederm do not seem to last as long IMHO.

Duration of Botox and Fillers

+1

Botox and Dysport typically last about 3-4 months.  Many patients will notice the effects lasting longer after repeated injections.  Lips fillers, such as Restylane and Juvederm, can last up 9 months or a year but most patients state they notice the volume in the lip waning between 3 to 6 months.  In your case, the dramatic decline in volume very early was likely due to the swelling subsiding.  Fillers in the cheeks typically last longer than in the lips regardless of which filler you place there because of less motion that is going on there.  The duration of the filler is very variable, mainly it depends on which filler you use.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Duration of Botox and fillers

+1

Botox usually lasts 3-4 months.  Fillers have a range.  Here are the approximate numbers:

Restylane 9 months

Juvederm 12 months

Radiesse 12 months

Sculptra 24 months

In people who perform strenuous exercises and in smokers the hyaluronic acid fillers and botox last significantly less.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

How long do Botox and Fillers work?

+1

Botox usually lasts 3 to 4 months depending on the patient. Some may get longer lasting results and some shorter. Fillers are usually good for a minimum of 6 months and can last up to a year depending on the product. Every body is different so everybody can potentially get slightly different results from these products.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The duration of effects from fillers and botox differes with the area treated

+1

The duration of effects from fillers and botox differes with the area treated. Fillers last longer in the upper half of the face and botox lasts longer in the bottom half of the face.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Longevity of Botox and fillers

+1

The timing of loss of Botox effect is about 3 to 4 months, so your results are in line with typical expectations.  However, the initial filler treatment (hyaluronic acid presumably) should last at least 6 months, so it is probably still present.  The initial lip fullness has no doubt diminished as swelling has subsided.  However, subsequent filler treatments should last longer, as your body gradually builds up it's own collagen tissue in the treated areas. 

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Filler around the lips can last 3-6 months or even longer

+1

Filler around the lips can last 3-6 months or even longer. After multiple injections, it really depends. Sometimes, if not enough filler is used, it will seem like it goes away pretty quickly. BOTOX usually lasts 3-4 months.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

It seems your Botox is lasting the usual amount of time

+1

Botox typically lasts 3-4 months. The effects may last longer after multiple treatments. The dramatic reduction in the volume of your lips is likely the resolution of swelling.

Dina D. Strachan, MD