What Can I Do to Minimize Scaring and Improve Healing Time After my Breast Implant?

What things (diet, creams, medication etc.) should be done before a breast implant surgery to optimize recovery and results? What regimen is important during recovery itself?

Improved Healing After Breast Implants

+3

The things that you can do in order to increase the liklihood of having uneventful healing after your augmentation are to be in good general health, avoid smoking, eat a protein-rich diet, and follow your surgeon's instructions for aftercare.  There is less that you can do regarding scarring as there is a great deal of individual variation here.  Again you will better off if you follow post-op instructions to the letter.  You might also consider using a silicone containing scar gel product post-op.

POst-op scar care

+2

In general, there is nothing reeally that improves the quality of healing after the surgery. The key is to maintain a healthy balanced diet and gradually get back to your normal routine over several weeks.  In most cases, silicone sheeting, creams, etc.. are not necessary.

Best diet for breast surgery

+2

Nature has spent millions of years optimizing human beings for wound healing. In a generally healthy person, all of the body's resources will be devoted to healing a fresh wound. There is no "magic bullet" that can improve this process (e.g. vit.c,vit e, aloe). There are some things that can diminish the ability of the body to heal, most notably smoking, annorexia and diabetes. You do not need to change your diet unless you are on an extreme regimen with absolutely no protein or fat. Gentle massage of the incisions is a reasonable way to fascilitate scar maturation post-op.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.ClevelandPlasticSurgery.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery outcome optimization

+2

I do not think that there is any special diet, cream, or medications that can be used before breast implant surgery to optimize recovery and results. I think the most important decision you make is choice of surgeon. The experience of the surgeon and the regimen that he/she prescribes will help you get through the surgery and achieve the best result possible.

After careful selection of your surgeon, careful communication with your surgeon is of utmost importance in achieving the best results possible. Much of the final results achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depend on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.
-------------------------------------

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Healing

+1

some people take herbal supplements. healing time is usually the same for all people and goes in 3 defined stages. with regard to the scar, I give my patients biocornium 2 weeks after surgery which they use for 3 months.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Improve Healing Time After Breast Implants

+1

While there are some basic recommendations to promote healing such as to stop smoking and to maintain a healthy balanced diet, your surgeon will need to provide recommendations suitable to your case and lifestyle.