How to Minimize Rectangular/square Face or Strong Jaw Bone?

Hi I have a very strong jaw bone, they make my face look square/rectangle. They are so strong that it makes me look hollow in the cheek. are there ways I could minimize these strong jaw? And make my face shape more like heart shape instead of square? I have an angular face with very strong jaw bone. I have heard that botox can minimize this. Does disport work the same? Or are there other better treatments? I have also heard that message that area to clear the lymph nodes would help? Thank you !

Botox may help

+1
Botox is injected directly into the jaw muscle, known as the masseter, to relax it, softening your jawline and giving you a thinner appearance.

However, this is only effective if your jaw is affected by prominent masseter muscles. If the aesthetic concern is caused by the actual bone, then Botox will not help. Please see an experienced and certified medical injector for a physical examination to obtain a better assessment of your concern.

Botox can help an overly prominent jawline

+1
I have used Botox many times to treat an overly prominent jawline in women. It is not uncommon in Asian faces for the face to be more square in shape, and many women prefer, as you say, a more heart-shaped face.  

One can inject the same muscles as well as the muscles of the temples in patients who grind their teeth. These patients can have severe chronic headaches and a painful jaw, as well as problems with their teeth. The muscles of their jaw and temples enlarge.  Some don't respond to teeth guards. Botox helps them to relax the involved muscles a bit so that their symptoms are relieved.

Dysport should have a similar effect.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

+1

This is only an issue in a female face, since male faces appear more attractive with increased angularity.  In a female face, a string chin/jawline must be compensated with full, round and aesthetically shaped cheeks as this is the beauty "trigger" in the face.  Before using Botox to decrease the Masseter, try cheek augmentation with a filler (I prefer per lane) or cheek implants.

Slimming the face with Botox

+1

Yes, plastic surgeons have used Botox and Dysport to help slim the face. While commonly used to reduce wrinkles, Botox and similar treatments can also help reduce excess facial volume. Results gradually develop over several weeks, so don't expect immediate results. Other patients may require surgery to remove fat or bone. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chabnoki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawl Line Injections

+1

the best treatment to replace volume loss will be a filler like Radiesse, fat grafting or even facial implants.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Masseter injection with either Botox or Dysport can feminize the face and create a more "upside down" egg shaped face

+1
Women that have large masseters, either genetically (asians frequently) or from bruxism, can make them smaller by injecting Botox or Dysport.  This can take up to 40 units per side of Botox.  I have seen very real changes from this injection.  This is the best treatment for this problem and I would not massage the area or try anything else.  The result is a slimmer lower face and a larger upper face (upside down egg).

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for Jaw Line

+1

Botox can work well for some people when the rectangular jaw appearance is due to enlargement of the muscles. By relaxing the muscles, you can give the jawline a softer, more naturally curved appearance. When the loss of the natural jawline is because of volume loss along with the effects of gravity, then fillers such as juvederm or ultherapy can be a good treatment for this.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon