What Can I Do to Minimize Future Scar on my Forehead? (photo)

I had an accident this past week, and I've been crying for days about this injury. I went to the ER, and the doctor had stitched my wound in the inside, and used tissue glue on the outside. My biggest concern is having to live with this future scar for the rest of my life. I am very upset. And I want to know what my options are, so I can remove/treat this future scar as soon as possible. I understand it will take time to heal (since it did happen 3 days ago).

Scar Treatment

+1
It is best to see a cosmetic dermatologist who is procedural and laser trained to advise you.  It was traditionally thought to wait many weeks after the injury to treat it with lasers or needling, but this thought process has been debunked, and there are a few things you can do immediately to help prevent worsening of a scar.  Immediately, silicone based topical creams with sunscreen are useful such as Biocorneum a few times a day.  After 1 week I typically start treatments with a KTP or pulsed dye laser (every 2-3 weeks) to help the scar mature and decrease redness.  After about 4-6 weeks, I offer treatment with fractional lasers (nonablative fraxel 1550nm or ablative co2 or erbium) to help improve the texture.  The majority of the time you can make the scar dramatically less noticeable.  Treatments, however, will not be covered by insurance.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Scar

+1

You need to let time pass and see how you heal. Avoid all sunlight because this will hyperpigment the scar

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Too early to tell

+1

Use scar creams and stay out of the sun for now until it is healed.  See a local plastic surgeon who can advise you.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Scarabrasion Can Work Well For Improving Recent Scars

+1

It's been known for two decades already that early intervention following injury or surgery, etc. may go far in minimizing significantly the ultimate appearance of the scar. Traditionally, it was recommended to wait six months, sometimes even a year, to allow scars to mature. Unfortunately, mature scars are much more difficult to treat than those in the very early stages of collagen deposition and remodeling.

Publications in the dermatologic surgery literature in the late eighties on a technique called "scarabrasion," which I have used ever since,  demonstrated that early intervention, via conventional dermabrasion (using a motorized device) or manual dermasanding, performed during a critical, optimum window of opportunity of between eight and twelve weeks following the injury could lead to significant final improvement. It seems that younger, fresher non-scar collagen is capable of being made and remodelled at this time and this ability diminishes with each passing month beyond that critical window.

The procedure itself is quite simple. The area is numbed with local anesthetic and then abraded to create a fresh wound. The edges of the traumatic (or surgical) wound is then sanded and blended with the surrounding area and then left to heal.

I have used this technique for twenty years and have found the resulting scars to be nearly imperceptible--but only if the procedure is performed within that critical eight to twelve week window following the injury. Recently, I have found medical microneedling in place of manual dermasanding to yield nearly comparably gratifying results.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Scar on forehead

+1

Sorry about your accident. It is too early to comment on the final result, but it may be able to be revised at a later date if it does not heal well. But I would wait a good year.

How to minimize scarring

+1
The first step you can take to minimize scarring is to be treated by a board certified plastic surgeon, who would have sutured your wound rather than using tissue glue. At 3 days post injury, it is extremely premature to anticipate the result. Scarring is permanent whenever the skin is breached full thickness. Dermablend is an excellent coverup. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and that you do not self prescribe. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD