How to Minimize Skin Care Complications from Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I'd like to get a surgeons' answers on this. I've heard that with some Rhinoplasty surgeries, patients complain about skin problems after operation.

Some complaints are, contact dermatitis (not common), enlarged pores, returned acne, bumps and an oilier face. Some people seem to have these problems many months and years after Rhinoplasty. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Skin problems after rhinoplasty?

+3

While it is fairly common to see some brief flare up of acne and oiliness of the nasal skin after rhinoplasty, this seems to be simply secondary to the tape and cast applied to the nose. The tape simply tends to occlude the pores. The skin, too, is probably a bit "hyper-metabolic" (a bit of an unscientific term, I'll admit) for a few weeks after surgery and seems to get a bit flaky for a while.

These effects, however, do not seem to persist beyond the immediate healing period. I, too, have never seen this "months and years after rhinoplasty." If a patient is experiencing new skin symptoms that long after rhinoplasty, they probably have a new skin disorder unrelated to surgery.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose facial before rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Fedex,

I have rarely seen patients who experience skin problems for longer than 4 months after rhinoplasty. I also agree that the immediate and short term problems that we see are generally due to swelling, and occlusion caused by the tape used on the skin after surgery.

My advice to most of my patients, especially those with oily or acne prone skin, is to have a facial to clear the pores of the nose one to two weeks prior to surgery. T

This has also helped in improving our rate of satisfaction with the scars that are occasionally placed at the junction of the nostril and the cheek to reduce or narrow the nostrils. In fact, I rarely preform a reduction of this area without a preceding facial.

Remember that your skin will be very sensitive to the sun, and may even be more sensitive to skin products or make-up that can clog the pores after surgery. This may last for several months, so it is certainly advisable to use a light non-comedogenic sunblock for several months.

I hope this helps you in your recovery.

Dr. Torkian

Behrooz Torkian, MD

How to minimize skin complications from Rhinoplasty?

+2

Hi Fedexpress,

Rarely patients will develop skin problems on their nose after rhinoplasty. It is usually caused by the nasal tape and splint being on oily skin for 5 to 7 days.

It can be prevented or minimized by using good skin care products both before and after rhinoplasty. If a patient is prone to acne breakouts or has oily skin, they should be given Brevoxyl-8-Wash to be used twice a day for one week before and one week after their rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty will not change pore size, nor have I in 24 years seen it effect the skin for more than a few weeks.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Skin problems after rhinoplasty?

+1
Most skin problems discoloration, swelling, and sensitivity is related to sun exposure.  In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Skin changes after Rhinoplasty

+1

Minor changes in the skin after rhinoplasty are usually short-lived. I've never seen permanent skin changes after rhinoplasty. If you have chronic  problems with your skin, consultation with your dermatologist prior to surgery will be beneficial.

Rhinoplasty Complications

+1

Usually all that you have described is temporary and goes away by 6-12 months time.

You need to see before and afters from the surgeons you are considering and them move forward.  Those things that you describe are not serious complications and usually go away with time.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Complications from rhinoplasty are very rare.

+1

Pimples from the tape are not common, but do happen and are usually gone after 1-2 weeks with soap and water. Nothing more is normally needed.

Nasal skin changes after rhinoplasty

+1

To some degree, the skin is denervated in the process of exposing the nasal skeleton for the surgery. Occasionally paitents can develop a denervation hypersensitivity with excess sebum secretion (oil). Furthermore, the skin can be sensitive to sun exposure, Commonly within six months, the nasal skin innervation is restored.

Rhinoplasty Skin Complications

+1

I completely agree with Dr. Persky. The rate of true skin complications in Rhinoplasty is extremely low. For the most part it can easily be prevented or rapidly treated with proper skin hygiene.

Dr. P. Aldea