Is It Possible to Have Minimal Muscle Tightening Done?

I am thinking of getting a skin only tummy tuck done. I realize that it would be most beneficial to get muscle repair done but I don't want to due to the long recovery time and have no one to help me with my kids. I don't want to put the surgery off as I am unhappy with how I look. Is is possible to have minimal tightening done? I realize that the outcome won't be as good but I am okay with that. Thanks!

Diastasis

+1

If you have a midabdominal wall separation then you need the diastasis repair and your result will not be as good without it. Your recovery will not be that much longer or harder

Tummy Tuck and No Muscle Repair?

+1

Yes, it is possible to have a tummy tuck operation with no abdominal wall muscle work done. In my opinion, it would be a shame  to do so if (by doing so) you would detract from the outcome of the procedure performed. I would rather you work on finding additional help with the kids than to have you end up with surgical results that you are not pleased with.

Be careful about your decision-making;  again, it is much better to do the  best operation  possible, than have regrets later.

+1

Can't really answer this question specific to you without photos. However, the flatter your stomach is now, the less significant is the tightening of the muscles. The more tummy bulge you have, the more beneficial the muscle repair will be for you. But anyone can do the TT without muscle repair if you and your doctor agree and you understand the limitations (or lack of them) for your specific anatomy if you forego that part of the procedure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is it possible to have minimal muscle tightening with a tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question. You do not state your height and weight and how much skin looseness you have. Without photos, it is more difficult to answer your question. First of all, how you define a minimal tightening or what is your understanding of this? If you need liposuction and only skin excision, the recovery is shorter. In my experience, only less than 10% of my patients can get away from not doing a muscle tightening. This can only be evaluated during an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks without muscle tightening can be done safely

+1

I've done tummy tucks for patients that had some intra-abdominal fattiness and just wanted the skin envelope tightened - and its worked out just fine. Don't expect a 'flat' and youthful abdominal contour without formal muscle plication. But if your goal is to remove excess abdominal skin and fat - then a 'no muscle tightening' tummy tuck is safe and reasonable.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Adjustable Tummy Tuck

+1

A skin only abdominoplasty my not adequately address your contour issues particularly if you've had two or more pregnancies and likely to have significant abdominal wall laxity.  I recommend having the full operation with a less aggressive plication and skin removal. With this, you should still have a good result with less of an impact on your recovery. 

Good luck.

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Tightening

+1

If you are having a standard elevation of skin for the tummy tuck I would recommend having the muscular fascia tightened if it would be beneficial for the final result. The additional amount of post-surgical pain would probably not be significantly greater and there are great ways to reduce the amount of postoperative discomfort after tummy tuck. Your surgeon should be able to outline these options and the pros and cons of each approach. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Tightening

+1

A tummy tuck without muscle tightening is a possibility.  I do not think this will speed the recovery that much.  Whether or not it is right for you really depends upon how much laxity you have in your muscles and how much this laxity is contributing to your appearance. 

Sacha Obaid, MD

+1

It is hard to give an answer that will be useful to you without the benefit at least of photos. An in person exam is always most valuable. 

A "minimal" tightening will probably cause as much discomfort as an appropriate tightening, so if you do any, you should do it right. 

It will be best to discuss in person with a plastic surgeon.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.