Do You Think a Mini Will Work? (photo)

I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks. My doctor told me at the pre op. that I wasn't a candidate for a full tt after looking at my stomach. He said I didn't have enough loose skin above my belly button to pull down and hide the old belly button hole. He is going to do some lypo around my belly button to remove some of the fat pockets. I did get a good vibe from my dr. and do trust his expertise! I don't expect my stomach to look like I did before kids, I just want money well spent!

Liposuction and endoscopic tummy tuck might be a good option as well

+2

Thank you for the question and photo.  I think you have three options including a full tummy tuck with closure of the belly button location as a small vertical scar, a mini tummy tuck and liposuction, and liposuction and an endoscopic tummy tuck. You are in a little bit of a grey zone in terms of which tummy tuck procedure you are a candidate for.  Take your time to make an informed decision by having a few consultations with well trained board certified plastic surgeons.

Dr Remus Repta

Do You Think a Mini Will Work

+1

My only concern is whether you need some tightening of the upper abdominal wall, and without a side view I cannot tell. 

If you do need that, address the issue with your surgeon, and there are ways to do that while still having a "mini-TT."

Thanks for your question and best wishes.

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

The key is to have realistic expectations and clear communication with the surgeon. Mini Tummy Tuck and liposuction will probably help, but you may have pockets of loose skin remaining especially around and above the umbilicus. You should be prepared for additional surgery as a possibility in the future. If you are aware of and accept the limitations, then I believe you can be pleased with the results.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Whether or not you will be satisfied with the results of mini tummy tuck surgery will depend on what your expectations are. Discussing these expectations with your plastic surgeon will be critical.

For example, based on your picture, I think that it is very likely that you will be left with loose/irregular skin in the areas around and above your umbilicus. Many of my patients would not be pleased with this result. Remember that you are depending on good skin elasticity for appropriate skin reach redraping to occur after liposuction surgery.  I'm afraid that you have lost some of the skin elasticity based on viewing your picture carefully.  Also, remember that with a mini tummy tuck surgery,  the majority of abdominal wall laxity that is currently present will  remain after surgery.

Generally speaking, inmy opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Be careful…

Do You Think a Mini Will Work?

+1

Very hard even with only one posted photo to be sure. But I believe a mini TT and lipo can help. Best to you.