Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hi since having my 2 children my lower absomen isn't as toned and sags a bit I'm Not to botherd about my stretchmarks but would like the bottom part tightened and flat what would you recommend?

Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Based ONLY on the internet posted photos and no in person examination I lean toward a mini TT with mid/upper abdomen Smart Lipo Triplex. In fact doing one this morning. 

Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures. You should be proud of the appearance of your abdomen after 2 pregnancies. For optimal results, I would suggest that you consider a full tummy tuck operation.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who have had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

A few additional words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?

+2

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction. They produce different degrees of improvement.

Following the advise of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+2

This is a very common question.  Photos don't really allow for a full assessment.  Go to at least one, but better two, in-person consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons, who do both mini and full tummy tucks.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each of these procedures.  You are best off discussing those with your surgeon. Good luck.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Very few people are helped by mini tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

You certainly don't have a severe problem, but the profile views show loose skin above the belly button also.  Just from your pictures, I would say either a little superficial liposuction of the lower belly only, or a full tummy tuck.. No mini

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Based on your photos, I recommend a mini tummy tuck.  Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

After pregnancy a full tummy tuck is almost always better than a mini.

+1

I think the best result would be obtained by doing a full abdominoplasty. This would allow maximum removal of excess skin inadequate exposure for repair of the abdominal wall fashion.

Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear Chanteleee,

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe you are an excellent candidate for a mini tt.  You do not have much laxity above your bellybutton and you your bellybutton looks very reasonable.  You may consider liposuction for sculpting at the time of your mini tt.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

The real issue in your case will be removing enough skin without creating a scar that is objectionably high.  From the pictures, even though the laxity exists to the level of the belly button and above, it is not of an extreme nature.  Thus, a minitummy tuck with liposuction will likely yield the most aesthetically acceptable result.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of minitummy tucks, tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck mini vs full

+1

Your pictures show some moderate laxity and loose skin of your lower abdomen. You will get many different opinions from different surgeons. I would recommend a mini tummy tuck with abdominal float or a full abdominoplasty. Usually one can get out more skin and fat during surgery than you expect so I usually go with the full tummy tuck.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon