My daughter who is in her 20's lost about 50 lbs about 4 years ago and has stayed extremely active, exercising daily. The only problem area is her lower abdominal skin which she cannot tighten with exercise. This does not affect the muscle tone below and is just skin laxity. We are trying to get a ball park estimate of what this will cost.
How Much Does a Mini Tummy Tuck, Skin Only Cost - All Inclusive in the Phila Suburban Area?
Doctor Answers (3)
Costs of Surgery
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above. This also depends on if a circumferential, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, and skin only tummy tuck is performed. These are usually less expensive in decreasing order.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
6. Add on surgeries are usually discounted, as in a mommy makeover.
7. Insurance. If an insurance based surgery, such as a hernia repair is done at the same time, the tummy tuck may be discounted.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Pablo Prichard, MD
Mini tummy tuck for weight loss patient
Thanks for your question. Most people who lose large amounts of weight in general need a full tummy tuck. We can see you for a free consultation and advise of exact procedure and cost.
As a rule, the quoted averages on RealSelf are reasonable estimates, though prices will vary from place to place. A review of local webistes of surgeons may help, as will calls to their offices.
Note, however, that most patients asking about mini-TT wind up needing a full TT. The mini will only address the tissue excess below the navel, and it is rather unusual for the problem to be limited to the lower abdomen.
RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified, but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.