Unsure Results From Mini Tummy Tuck Will Be What I Wanted, Was It Not Enough? (photo)

Hello, I am 2 weeks post-op from modified tummy tuck and breast augmentation. I still have a lot of wrinkly, excess skin on my belly. I've heard that you shouldn't judge the results until 6 weeks post-op but do you think I have cause for concern here? If I can't get into a bathing suit, the surgery wasn't worth it. In the picture you can see it some, but when I sit, the whole ab area is wrinkled from top to bottom.

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You are correct in that it is too early to judge the final results of surgery. I think, unfortunately, that you are also correct in that the correct operation was not chosen.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery. 

Unsure Results From Mini Tummy Tuck Will Be What I Wanted, Was It Not Enough

+1

Thanks for the posted photos, truly helps. In my opinion based only on the posted photos you might have chosen the incorrect operation. I think a full TT was indicated, but without an in person examination very hard to determine the exact answer. 

Tummy tuck results

+1

It looks to me like you had a "mini" tummy tuck and needed a full tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck has a longer incision, removes the loose skin of the lower abdomen, tightens the skin of the upper abdomen, tightens the underlying muscle layer (if needed) and revises the navel. You should discuss this option with your surgeon.

James W. Ward, MD (retired)
Arlington Plastic Surgeon