26 Year Old Male - Is a Mini Tummy Tuck Best for Me?

I am a 26 year old male and i have lost 60 lbs 6 years ago. I've been exercising regularly and has a very active lifestyle. I've been thinking of having a mini tummy tuck or maybe a full tummy tuck since exercise alone can't fix my excess skin. May I know what procedure is best for me?

To have mini tummy tuck or not?

+2

It is difficult to see details in the pictures that you have submitted.  Along with the advice that Dr. Daniels gave you I would suggest you ask your surgeon about the possiblity of liposuction as opposed to a mini-tuck.  If the skin below your umbillicus has enough elasticity liposuction might be an option.  If the skin has significant stretch marks then a tuck might be necessary.

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+2

A mini tuck involves dissection up to but not past the belly button. If you don't have much skin laxity above the belly button this option will probably work for you. With a mini there will not be a scar around the belly button but the lower abdominal scar will likely be the same length with either a mini or a full tuck. Hope this helps!!!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

A mini is fine if the only skin issue is below the BB.  If the skin is above the BB, a full is the best option.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.  Congratulations on your weight loss!  Unfortunately, direct physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be  necessary to give you good advice.

However, a word of caution regarding mini tummy tuck surgery may be in order.In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.