How Do I Decide Which is Best for Me, Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am considering a mini abdominoplasty procedure as I want to get rid of the pouch under my belly button and stretch mark scars in that area. I have been on a good diet and work out at least 2-3 times a week and have not seen any improvements over the past years. I have done some research and haven't had much luck on getting information about the mini versus the full. Any type of information would help. Thanks!

Mini vs. Full tummy tuck.

+1

Thank you for the photos.  The mini tummy tuck is good for extra skin under the belly button.  For skin above the belly button, belly button issues, separated muscles, excess skin above the belly button, a full tummy tuck is usually better.  I would have to examine you first to give an appropriate recommendation   Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.  Together, you will come up with a plan to achieve your goals.

Mini vs. full tummy tuck ?

+1

Looking at your pictures my first impression would be also a mini tummy tuck with liposuction.

Having said that an examination of your skin, soft tissues and muscles would maybe sway me to a full tummy tuck. You need an experienced Plastic Surgeon to examine you and give his recommendation.

Mini versus full tummy tuck is not the crucial question for you but which procedure is right for you and gives you the result you hope for.

Good luck!

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Full or Mini Abdominoplasty

+1

Hi Mychi.  Your images are great and my immediate response is 'mini abdominoplasty'.  You have some fullness of the lower abdominal wall which may be due to a combination of muscle laxity and fat deposition.  Both of these can be addressed with liposuction and tightening the muscles by way of a short transverse incision  just above the mons pubis - a mini abdominoplasty.  Some of the stretch marks can be removed by way of this approach as well.  It does not appear that you have enough skin laxity above the umbilicus to perform a full abdominoplasty thereby removing all the stretch marks below the umbilicus.  Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for an in depth review of your options.  God luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

I would want to examine you in person (or see photos of you bending down in a diving position) to really give you good advice.

Mini tummy tuck surgery on the other hand,  involves excision of a small amount of “excess” skin and subcutaneous tissues above the pubic area,  usually plication  of the rectus muscles up to the umbilicus. It does not involve the movement of the umbilicus and/or application up to the xiphoid process of the sternum. This operation does not  necessarily address the appearance of the umbilicus and/or the appearance of the skin/subcutaneous tissues above the umbilicus.  This operation tends to have very limited indications and very limited results.

A full tummy tuck procedure usually involves removal of the excess skin and adipose tissue from slightly above the belly button down to the pubic bone.  This operation addresses the appearance of the entire abdominal wall skin/ subcutaneous layer as well as the appearance of the umbilicus. Muscle plication (repair) is usually  performed from the xiphoid process of the sternum down to the pubic bone.  This operation is the most commonly performed of the three  operations and is usually indicated for patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss.

It may be wise to have a consultation with a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon to get the best advice for your case.