Mini Tummy Tuck Vs Thermage for Extra Skin and Stretch Marks (Male)

Hi. I'm 24 yeasr old guy. i lost 40 pounds 5 years ago, but now i have 2 problem .1- i have extra skin at my stomach area 2 i have strechmarks on that area to. a visited 3 doctors two of them sugged my to mini tummy tuck but one of them told me i have to do thermage. so my question is wich is the best way for me? also about strech mark i dont know what should i do te remove it.( my budget is $12000)

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!!  I think you will need some variation of a tummy tuck.    I do not think thermage will do enough to achieve a realistic result.

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Male tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Since you have loose skin after significant weight loss, you will probably need to have it surgically removed in order to tighten your abdomen. I've never seen a non-surgical technique significantly tighten abdominal skin, especially after weight loss.  A tummy tuck scar is placed as low as possible on the front of the abdomen, so it should be hidden by most clothes.  And you should definitely be able to work well within your budget of $12,000.

I suggest you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your situation in more detail and I wish you all the best! 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Thermage will not provide results

+1

Congratulations on an amazing weight loss!  For redundant skin of such a degree, only surgical excision will be beneficial. Please don't waste your money on Thermage.  It can provide a very small amount of tightening in marginal cases but is not intended for circumstances which require surgical technique.  The only way to alleviate stretch marks is by surgically excising the excess skin.  If all of the excess is below the BB, you may be able to benefit from a mini-tuck but this can only be determined on examination.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Abdominal wall “Extra Skin and Stretch Marks”?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your weight loss.

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, it is most likely that some type of excisional surgery ( some variation of tummy tuck surgery) will be necessary to help you achieve your goals.

I would suggest consultation with well experienced and ethical board certified plastic surgeons for in person examination.

Mini tummy tuck versus Thermage for stretch marks

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

Unfortunately, the only effective treatment for complete removal of stretch marks is removal of the damaged skin itself with a tummy tuck procedure. In our Miami practice, we have performed this surgery on men and women of all shapes and sizes. We use a different philosophies of beauty for men as we do not try to re-create the hourglass but rather an upside down triangle. We emphasize a narrow waist and hips that will accentuate their torso. We also created a very low pubic incision for men that will allow them to wear shorts and go shirtless without being self-conscious.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Thermage of tummy tuck

+1

I would not recommend thermage as a substitute for a tummy tuck.    I suppose if you have seen a few surgeons and they suggest a tummy tuck that might be the right choice.

Thermage, mini or full tummy tuck

+1

Thermage is NOT a substitute for a tummy tuck. Furthermore you may get an even better result wtih a full tummy tuck for that cost but that is just a guess without picturea or an examination, 

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

Thermage can help but most likely not to remove skin after your significant weight loss. Excess skin requires it to be removed to get the best result. A mini tummy tuck can even be done in the office under totally local anesthesia which reduces the costs for the patient.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thermage vs. tummy tuck? Surgery is probably the way to go

+1

Unfortunately, there is not yet a permanent or semi permanent and effective way to tighten very loose skin. Thermage is just one of the many available modalities claiming to do that, but with absolutely no scientific evidence to back this claim. Most of us surgeons are aware that we can do a little bit to tighten small amounts of loose skin using infrared technology or laser, but Thermage in particular is expensive and of very questionable efficacy.  The best way to know what procedure is best for you is with an in person consultation. I would strongly state though that unless you have a small amount of extra skin visible only when you bend all the way over, non surgical technology is not likely to be of significant benefit. Surgery is a big fix, but the only permanent one.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Thermage Does Not Work

+1

Unfortunately, all those products that you read about or see advertised to smooth and tighten the skin are very hit or miss.  Half the people who undergo thermage, endermologie, etc. do not see any results, and the ones that do only get a temporary change.  After 6 months, things are ususally back to the way they were before.  The only way to tighten skin is to surgically excise excess and then tighten the remaining tissues.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon