Would a Mini Tummy Tuck Do the Trick? (photo)

Hi, I am a petite woman 5'2- 105 that has 2 children. I am at a healthy weight and probably won't loose any more but am still not happy with my stomach. As you can see in the first picture it's not all that noticeable if I am standing up straight but with the second if I bend over slightly my stomach looks wrinkly. I am wondering if a mini tummy tuck fix this. The reason I ask is because I don't think I would be able to trade the wrinkly skin for a scar that goes from hip to hip as the full doe

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. No, I do not think that you will do well with a mini tummy tuck operation;  the results of this procedure will be minimal and in my opinion it is very likely that you will be displeased.

On the other hand, given your concerns about the full tummy tuck scar,  probably best to stay away from this operation as well.

You may be a good example of a patient, despite having had 2 pregnancies, who would do better avoiding surgery altogether.

Would a Mini Tummy Tuck Do the Trick?

+1
Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs alone (not as good as a physical exam), I believe you have very good muscle tone and most likely not enough extra skin and laxity to justify a tummy tuck or mini-tummy tuck for you.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Minitummy Tuck

+1

You appear to have good muscle tone and skin laxity amenable to excision at the inferior aspect of your abdomen.  Thus, a minitummy tuck is not unreasonable.  The only negative to this will be that the belly button will remain elongated.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck for skin removal - or not

+1

Great questions.  As always, seeing your concerns in person would allow the most accurate recommendations.

Having said that, I think that the amount of excess skin that you have is not enough to recommend any tummy tuck - mini or full.  The goal of a tummy tuck is to remove loose skin and tighten the muscle underneath.  To me, your pictures do not look as if you need either.

I wish I had a great suggestion to tighten and smooth the skin - but there are not any really reliable options out there for abdominal skin.

Douglas L. Vander Woude, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Mini TT

+1

Dear Felicity jean,

Thanks for submitting your pictures. Looking at your 1st picture, the following is noticeable : Muscle laxity up to mid upper abdomen, long belly button, strech marks. Mini tummy tuck will be an unhappy compromise for you because you will have a bulge in the upper abdomen and the belly button will not look good. The indication for mini TT are when the muscle laxity is bellow the belly button. A standard tummy tuck will do the following for you : Flat tummy from chest bone to pubic bone, beautiful oval or round belly button, narrow waist line , most of strech marks gone. Consult an exerienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr Widder   

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Would a Mini Tummy Tuck Do the Trick?

+1

I for one would be quite reluctant to suggest surgery here. If a patient were tight while bent forward, she would not be able to stand erect. The skin is not infinitely elastic. The other views show a normal abdomen. 

A mini-TT does not necessarily imply a shorter incision .  It implies surgery limited to the lower half of the abdomen. The incision must be as long as the area of skin excess.

All the best.