Do I Need a Mini-tummy Tuck, or the Full Tuck? (photo)

My first pregnancy gave me that 'mommy tummy' because of excess amniotic fluid, a huge baby, and a c-section! It has been seven years, but I haven't made my peace with it yet. My only hesitation in pursuing a tummy tuck is that I do NOT want a huge scar going across my pelvis. I think I would rather stick with my tummy than do that. Do you think I can get good results with a mini-tummy tuck? I'm not aiming for perfect. I just don't want a belly that hangs down.

Do I Need a Mini-tummy Tuck, or the Full Tuck?

+3

I think you can get by with a mini-TT, and that puts you in a small minority of patients who ask about that. 

A mini-TT does not, however, imply a shorter incision. It refers to a surgery that involves only the lower abdomen, and is appropriate only for patients whose problem is limited to the lower abdomen, and that is uncommon. 

The incision must extend about an inch beyond the area of visible skin excess, and this will require an incision that you describe to be a deal killer--all across the pelvis.

Your call. All the best. 

Mini tuck

+2

If you have realistic expectations and just want the flab and some tightening then a minituck with a small scar will make you quite happy. go for it.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Scar

+2

It depends on the look that you want. In my past I have performed a short scar procedure on ony a limited number of patients. These are the ones who do not have any loose or extra skin above the umbilicus. Otherwise, the full tummy tuck is a better option. Remember that there are only a few inches of difference on each side for the length of your final scar.All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

+2

Even with a mini TT or paddlectomy of the hanging excess skin inferiorly there will be ab extended incision/scar. So you with accept the scar or do not do the surgery. 

Mini Tummy Tuck versus a Full Abdominoplasty

+2

A mini tummy tuck is a small version of an abdominoplasty so expect the result to be less dramatic.  The up side though is that is a shorter scar and importantly no scar around the tummy button.  If yuo like to wear a bikini this can be a major factor in deciding which procedure  is for yuo.

A tummy tuck will get a bigger pull on the skin above the tummy button and this is the advantage of the bigger procedure.  If the length of the longer scar is something yuo could not accept, then a mini tummy tuck would be a better option for yuo, just dont expect the result of a full abdominoplasty.

All the best with the decision

Jeremy Hunt  

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

Hi

You look like the perfect candidate for a mini-tummy tuck with liposuction.

The scar will only be slightly longer than the C-section scar you already have.

Also, there is no harm aiming for perfection!

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+2

I would recommend a short scar tummy tuck in which a large amount of skin is taken out, but the scar is shorter like a minitummy tuck.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of short scar tummy tucks and minitummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mini tummy tuck is an operation of compromises and is not right for everybody

+2

You've got skin laxity above and below the belly button, plus your belly button is oriented in the horizontal direction. I would recommend a standard abdominoplasty for the best result. A 'mini' tummy tuck is the right operation for only a small fraction of patients.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck vs standard tummy tuck

+2

From your photos, it appears as though you're a great candidate for a mini tummy tuck.  However, I can't give you an exact answer without examining you.  The mini tummy tuck would help remove the excess skin below your belly button and would only leave a short scar.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck or Full

+2

Based on your photos, you could get by with a mini tummy tuck, but the results will not be the same as a full tummy tuck.  For the desired result, you have to make a trade.   Your Plastic Surgeon will explain scar management.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD