Mini Tummy Tuck for an Abdomen Pouch?

I have two children and had gotten a pouch. I have been doing crunches for several months and still have not flatten my stomach. It's not so huge every morning before I have any meals. But once I have eaten it can hang over my belt. My little daughter can pull on my stomach when she sucks her finger. I'm thinking of doing a Mini tummy tuck but only as a last resort. However, will that help?

Mini tummy tuck for a mini result

+2

The true mini tummy tuck candidate is a rare bird, the full tummy tuck is what most patients need to get the best abdomen they can get.  Many posts before describe the problems with minis.

Mini or full tummy tuck

+1

Without an exam it would be very difficult to tell you what would be best for you. If you have muscle weakness and lax skin above and below the umbilicus, a full tummy tuck would be best.

VIDEO (See in link below) Full verus Mini versus In between tummy tuck

+1

There are a variety of options but typically the best results are obtained with a full tummy tuck and muscle repair.

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

The simple answer is that you need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which technique is right for you. For most women, a full tummy tuck is a better option. Although there may be longer scars, you are able to address loose skin of the upper and lower abdomen and the belly button tends to stay in a more normal anatomic location than with a mini tummy tuck which may lower it.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck for an abdominal pouch

+1

A mini tummy tuck is an excellent procedure to correct the sagginess or extra volume in the lower and central abdomen. This may be performed through a small central and limited incision. Through this low incision, the tissue will be elevated and your muscle layer will be assessed. If you require repair or a reapproximation of the muscles this may be readily done. Liposuction may be used at this time to remove excess fat in this area. Finally extra skin or stretch marks may be removed with this same incision.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mini Tummy vs Full Tummy tuck

+1

Based on the information you provided, sounds like you would definately benefit from a tummy tuck procedure. Due to pregnancy, your rectus muscles have been stretched causing a pouched look in the abdomen area. Unfortunately, with diet and exercise, you are left with loose and excess tissue and skin, which can not bounce back from being stretched. it is difficult to return to your pre-baby body. A tummy tuck can help you achieve a flat tummy and self-confidence. Many women are inquiring about mommy makeovers.

Make sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery. During your consultation, find out whether or not you would be a good candidate for a mini or a full tummy tuck. A mini differs from a standard, where it involves repair from below the belly button and down. A full tummy tuck involves more muscles repair and skin removal and tightening all over the abdoen area, giving you a longer lasting and better result. Good luck!

Mini tummy tuck may not be enough to correct pouch.

+1

Hi.

Of course, I haven't examined you. But I can tell you that too many mini tummy tucks are done because they sound less scary, when in fact women need a full tummy tuck.

The mini is good if your only problem is some skin overhang above a C section scar. We have done full tummy tucks on a number of women who previously had mini tummy tuck and were very unhappy.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choose the right procedure

+1
You are describing a classic situation after childbirth. Not only does the skin lose some of its elasticity but the muscles have separated to accomodate the baby.
Although sit up and crunchs will improve the strength of the muscles they will not return to their original position without surgery. The muscle is the foundation for the abdominal contour.
How you address the skin is dependent on how much skin excess there is. You can repair the muscle with all 3 abdominoplasty approaches, mini, modified or full. The difference between these techniques is how much skin is removed and how you handle the belly button.
You will achieve a dramatic improvement with your abdominal contouring procedure but you will need to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to decide which of these techniques is best for you.
Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

You need a tummy tuck

+1

The appearance that you describe is consistent with muscle laxity of the abdominal wall. Even if you have do crunches or sit ups to strengthen the abdominal wall muscles, the gap between the muscles will prevent from ever obtaining a flat stomach. A mini tummy tuck, which involves only removing skin, will not help with bloating and bulging. A full tummy tuck with muscle tightening is the only thing that will help.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Sit ups won't help

+1

It sounds like you have what is called a diastasis recti. This is when your abdominal muscles get stretched apart at the mid line. This is common from pregnancies.

If your muscle is flat above the navel and if your skin above the navel is taught, you are mini tummy tuck candidate.

If you have a diastasis that goes higher than the navel or you have loose and or stretch marked skin above it then a mini is not right for you.

You may need a full abdominoplasty or a modified or hybrid abdominoplasty.

Sit ups are good for the muscles but will not bring them back to the mid line.

See a board certified plastic surgeon to be sure what is right for you.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD