Smart Lipo for Loose Abdomen After Mini Tummy Tuck?

I had Mini Tummy Tuck done 3 months ago. Now, my abs look loose, and it looks like I have cellulite. Will Smart Lipo help with this?

Quite honestly, there is nothing too smart about Smart Lipo used for skin tightening

+2

Liposuction at its best, is a procedure to remove fat, not to tighten skin. Plastic surgeons as a group would disagree on discernible skin tightening features of laser or ultrasound assisted liposuction. Performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, liposuction can be followed by some degree of skin tightening depending on the condition of the skin.

It is possible that on select patients, the addition of laser or ultrasound may enhance skin tightening. But this effect is secondary and unpredictable. Moreover, an overzealous attempt to tighten skin using these modalities carries a HIGH risk of skin injury and burns and subsequent scars and deformities.

Don't be fooled by every recent fad. If you have excess skin after tummy tuck, after proper recovery period, discuss with your surgeon whether more skin removal is indicated.

Cutaneous radiofrequency (Thermage) may help with tightening of skin in some patients and if performed conservatively, has a very good risk profile. Unfortunately, as of August 2009, there is no good option to treat cellulite!

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Does Smart Lipo tighten skin?

+1

It is very unlikely that any type of liposuction will tighten your skin. Generally speaking, liposuction removes fat but does not tighten skin. The skin may shrink a little after liposuction, but significant tightening of the skin generally does not occur. 

I advise you to consult with at least one board certified plastic surgeon and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo and loose skin

+1

Whether you have smartlipo or any form of lipo, if you skin is already loose, it will become looser with liposuction.

Loose and lumpy skin after mini tummy tuck

+1

It sounds as if your real problem is loose skin and not necessarily excess fat. I would meet with another plastic surgeon but my impression is that only a full tummt tuck may be indicated here.

Mini tummy tuck works only if you look great above belly button.

+1

Hi.

Too many women have mini tummy tuck because it sounds less scary. I am afraid you need a full tummy tuck, from your description. Avoid Smart Lipo. I don't think liposuction will help you. You need more skin removed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How to correct loose skin after mini tummy tuck

+1

One has to ask why there would be loose skin after the surgical procedure if it is to pull the skin tight. The answer is often poor skin elasticity from sun, age, or genetics. SmartLipo or Laser assisted Liposuction could be used for the skin component only to stimulate the cells to produce more collagen and elastin.

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

You can't shrink loose skin

+1

If excess skin is part of your aesthetic problem, there is no modality that will fix the problem except for surgical removal-period. I use both ultrasound and the laser as part of liposuction in selected patients where they might benefit from a very modest amount of tightening (which is all that can ever be expected). Having done many cases, if there is any advantage with these techniques over conventional liposuction, it is very slim.

Mini-abdominoplasties are seldom indicated because the loose skin after childbirth usually affects the entire abdomen. The satisfaction rate with mini procedures is low because it addresses problems only between the navel and pubis. When this is the only problematic area (which is rare), the procedure is a good one. But for the vast majority of patients, it is inadequate.

My advice (without having examined you) would be to either submit to a full abdominoplasty or save your money. The full procedure will make your abdomen flat and the skin tight, but at the expense of an incision across the lower abdomen, the length of which is proportional to the amount of excess skin that is removed.

Don't wast your money on Thermage, ultrasonic lipo, or laser lipo. You'll look very much the same and you'll be out some money.