Mini Tummy Tuck Scar Tissue - Singulair? (photo)

I am now 9+ weeks post op from modified (mini) tummy tuck. It wasn't a true mini as the doctor repaired the muscles all the way from the top to the bottom, then performed a floating belly button. He advised this route and ensured me it was my only option as I "didn't have enough skin" to do a full TT. Not only is there excess skin, but the skin appears pulled to the left side (compression garment opened on that side.) Now he wants me to take Singulair to loosen that scar tissue. Need advice.

Singulair for Tummy Tuck "Scarring" is NOT a recognized therapy

+3

Having not examined you before surgery I cannot comment with certitude what may or may not have been the best body contouring procedure for you.  I can, however, tell you that in the vast majority of women presenting for a tummy tuck with excess skin above the belly button (which was the case with you), a MINI tummy tuck usually results in disappointing results. A Mini Tummy Tuck in which the belly button is "floated" (severed from its natural attachment to the midline between the muscles and pulled down with the skin) may be used in cases in which only a very small inferior movement of the belly button is anticipated and in most cases the results appear somewhat odd. In my opinion, a short vertical scar with a midline "innie" belly button is a better compromise. Finally, the use of Singulair as a scarring modifier is controversial at best. It began over 10 years ago with a study from Hawaiiwhich reported some success softening scarring around breast implants (contracture) using this and other asthma drugs. To my knowledge the study was not duplicated and such use is AT BEST a hit and miss. However, the drug is associated with a small but real risk of severe liver damage which MUST be considered every time it is prescribed. In my opinion, I seriously doubt it will work in your case,

Mini Tummy Tuck Scar Tissue - Singulair?

+2

Based only upon the posted photos and your description I think you needed a full tt not a free floating tt. Sorry. The scar tissue is residual skin that is scarring down so in my opinion the taking of the Singulair not going to work. But you can try it. 

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is difficult to give you accurate advice without examining you. Assuming your doctor is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, and given that you have trusted him to do your procedure, I would suggest continued follow-up and  compliance with instructions.  Regardless, at this point, there is not much else that can be done besides allowing time for healing, resolution of swelling, and retrieving of the skin.

If you feel that additional reassurance/ evaluation is necessary then in-person consultation (second opinion)  may be helpful.