Mini Tummy Tuck Possible if Full TT out Due to Gall Bladder Surgery?

I had my Gallbladder removed several years back after 3 c-sections. Anyway, I tried to get a TT but I was told a full tummy tuck wasn't for me due to a previous surgery (Gallbladder). What other options do I have? A mini tummy tuck perhaps? I'm worried about the shape of my b-button after the surgery. Although, is the pouch of skin I really want to get rid of. Please advise, thanks.

Full tummy tuck safe with minimal undermining.

+2

Hi.

We have done several tummy tuck in women with this scar. It is safe with the right technique, namely minimal undermining to protect the blood supply. I don't think you will get good result with mini.

Full tummy tuck after gall bladder surgery

+2

Either you inadvertantly flipped your picture over or you have situs inversus (Reversal of organ position) because the gall bladder scar is almost always on the right side.

Anyway, I have done full tummy tucks with classical gall bladder incisions IN an appropriate clinical setting, with the patient understanding that there may be additional risk factors.

Recent literature has borne this out.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after gallbladder surgery

+2

Your surgery can most likely be performed by a very experienced cautious surgeon. You will have to accept that your complication rate might be higher than in a patient who has never had surgery before.

You will benefit most from a version of the full tummy tuck.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Open GallBladder (Kocher) Scar and Tummy Tuck Surgery

+2

Your open gallbladder surgery (Kocher) scar would severely decrease the blood flow to the lower tummy skin if you had a traditional, full tummy tuck.

OPTIONS
1. Liposuction only - From your photographs, you appear to have residual fat deposits of the front of the tummy as well as the hips. These areas would be greatly improved with liposuction. You could get a nice contour with liposuction only that would look nice in clothes but the front would probably display significant hanging, loose skin.

2. Minimal undermining tummy tuck would reduce the risk of wound disruption and potential flap death but the results would be sub-standard while the wound healing risk is not eliminated.

3. REVERSE Tummy Tuck - the scar is placed across the chest under the breast and the loose skin is removed in that area rather than below and removes the gallbladder surgery scar. The operation is not done commonly because it is more challenging and leaves a scar that is much more visible and prone to scar hypertrophy.

In my opinion, the extent of tummy muscle and looseness in you would require a full tummy tuck for full correction. A MINI tummy tuck will not improve things significantly and may even result in the strange appearance of a flat or concave tummy below the belly button and a bulging tummy above.

Tummy Tuck Surgery after Abdominal Surgery

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your picture I knew not believe you will have a good result with mini  tummy tuck surgery. A full tummy tuck can be  performed with special care taken to limit undermining of the tissues in the area of the previous gallbladder scar. Although the risks  of wound healing problems is still increased this procedure can be done safely/ without complications for most patients.

The mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Gall blddder scar and tummy tuck

+1

Based upon your photo, you probably willneed some form of  full tummy tuck even possibly a modifed full where the area round the gall bladder incision is not undermined.  Some surgeons would perform a full tummy tuck even with a gall bladder incision.

Yes, mini tummy tuck is possible

+1

You need an abdominoplasty, even with you previous upper abdomen scar, a TT is possible, however you will have an increase risks of having complications. Your surgeon needs to take specific steps to increase your chances of a good outcome. Again experience and training are important. If the surgeon tells you he has not done this procedure go with another surgeon, get several consultations and ask the surgeon to show you pictures of previous patients with the scar.

The most important factor in the outcome of your surgery is your choice of surgeon. You need a Board certified Plastic Surgeon ( American Board of Plastic Surgery)

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Old style Gall bladder scars can make tummy tucks risky

+1

I would definitely recommend a mini tummy tuck with liposuction of your waistline (ie abdomen, waist and flank regions) The majority of your skin laxity appears to be below your umbilicus and therefore a mini tummytuck (although this will still require a scar as long as a full tummytuck) will give you a very nice result with very little risk of having any healing problems. I have done this many times for patients with situations like yours, with excellent results. Good Luck

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Tummy tuck can be done with previous gallbladder incision, but carefully

+1

Given your photos, you would likely benefit from a full tummy tuck. I don't think that a mini tuck or liposuction will be enough to give you a satisfying result. The gallbladder scar makes it riskier to do a classical full tummy tuck, but modifications to the procedure can be made such that you may get a good result with slightly increased risk relative to patients without this surgical scar. Make sure you are see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck after Gallbladder Surgery

+1

I would recommend seeing another plastic surgeon. Someone who is board certified and has done plenty of tummy tucks. I have not had any issues performing a full tummy tuck on patients with gallbladder (Kocher) incisions.

You should be fine in experienced hands. I would find a plastic surgeon that feels comfortable performing this type of surgery. Do your research, you should be able to achieve the results you desire.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD