Wrinkled Skin After Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I had surgery 8 1/2 weeks ago (2/13/09): mini Tummy Tuck with muscle repair (hernia) and Liposuction. The surgeon did not use drains. I started out 118 lbs, 5'6", 28 years old. My surgeon said that there is a "50/50" chance the wrinkles will go away. The surgeon did not move my belly button. I am really concerned about the way I look. I expected to have a nice, smooth, flat tummy after surgery. My side view also still shows a bulge.

Wrinkled skin after Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+4

Dear Cori ,

I am SURE I will not be the only one who would state that you would have been a PERFECT case for a full abdominoplasty. It would have removed much of the damaged, stretch marked covered lower tummy skin, TOTALLY flattened the tummy and, depending on the technique utilized, if a High-Lateral Tension (Lockwood) abdominoplasty would have been done your upper thigh cellulite dimples could have been flattened by the SAME procedure.

Instead, doing a Mini tummy tuck, once again validates the old Plastic surgery adage that Mini-operations usually produce Mini-results.

I too think that a full tummy tuck would be needed to correct this.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Full or mini tummy tuck?

+2

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Revisional Tummy Tuck Surgery May Be Necessary For You

+1

The vast majority of patients who have redundant abdominal wall tissue require a full abdominoplasty.  When patients have minor amounts of loose lower abdominal skin, mini abdominoplasty is appropriate, but these situations are not common.

It appears that you continue to have residual redundant upper abdominal skin, weakened abdominal muscles and stretch marks.  Your photos suggest that you would benefit from conversion of your mini abdominoplasty to a full abdominoplasty with umbilical transposition.  At this point, conservative management is unlikely to impact your abdomen.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon and obtain a second opinion if necessary. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkled skin after mini tummy tuck and liposuction

+1
I understand why you are disappointed with your results.  Unfortunately, you appear to have been a better candidate for a full tummy tuck rather than a mini tummy tuck.  I see many patients in my practice every year who desire a flat tummy following pregnancy and childbirth , but they do not want the larger incision associated with a full tummy tuck.  It is important the realize that the mini tummy tuck only delivers a good result in a very small percent of the population.  A full tummy tuck would have removed most of your stretch marks and lowered the others possibly below your swimsuit line.  Your abdomen and muscle would be tighter and you would have the results I'm sure you wanted initially.

My advice would be to consult another plastic surgeon who is board certified and obtain another opinion regarding how to achieve the results you desire.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

In general, after 8 ½ weeks most of the swelling has resolved.

+1

You have reason to be concerned. In general, after 8 ½ weeks most of the swelling has resolved. If you still have wrinkles, they may not go away on their own. Unfortunately, mini tummy tucks allow for removal of only a limited amount of skin. If there was considerable skin excess before surgery, a full abdominoplasty might have been recommended. You should discuss a time table for revision with your surgeon.  Don't expect gradual improvement to continue after 3 or 4 months.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Rippling and Skin laxity after liposuction

+1

Liposuction has two basic skin issues associated with it: rippling and skin laxity. Rippling is a contour deformity (dimpling) similar to cellulite.  Much rippling can be avoided by using proper technique and certain technologies; some of it cannot be avoided.  At the Plastic Surgery Center we utilize PAL  (Power Assisted Liposuction) to help minimize contour deformity.

The second issue is skin laxity.  If large volumes of liposuction need to be performed, especially on a patient that has decreased elasticity of the skin, hanging skin can result.  A surgeon and patient need to exercise good judgment, and sometimes skin reduction surgery i.e. tummy tuck, thigh lift, may need to be performed afterwards.

Andrew Elkwood, MD, FACS
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck vs traditional tummy tuck

+1

Based on your photograph, I would have recommended a full tummy tuck. Your stretch marks go above the belly button and the only way to remove it is to relocate the belly button and remove the skin above the belly button. You should see your surgeon to address your concerns. Opn communication is very important in these situations.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

+1

Thank you for your question.  Based on your picture, it looks like you had excess skin and stretch marks that extended above the umbilicus.  Therefore, a mini tummy tuck was probably not your best option.  A full tummy tuck would have gotten rid of all the loose skin and most of the stretch marks.  Could have done a full muscle repair done as well.  This would have given you a flat abdomen.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Mini-tummy tuck

+1

I would agree with the comments already listed and perhaps a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) would have been a better option for you. Wait until you are about four months post-op and schedule an evaluation with your board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like you really needed a full tummy tuck to make the abdomen flatter and to remove most of the stretch marks.