Other Mini Tummy Tuck Methods?

I am 23 years old and have 2 kids. I just had my second child 3 months ago. I am done having children. I still have a little weight to lose and I will lose it all by next year when I am ready for the procedure. I have a little loose skin on the belly--not much really. It's just not tight anymore. When I pull my skin down like in the traditional mini tummy tuck, it does not look right. Are there other methods? What would you suggest I do?

Mini Tummy Tuck VS. "Full" Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Kitty_86,

A mini tummy tuck has VERY limited applications and when used outside of those categories often produces substandard (aka ugly) results.

VERY rarely after having three children can a woman hope to get a great result with a mini tummy tuck. The reason being that the rectus tummy muscles have been split and pushed sideways PERMANENTLY (IE no amount of exercise will bring them back and corset them in the midline as they were before the pregnancy). Since in a mini tummy tuck only the muscles below the belly button are addressed - that leaves the split portion above unrepaired.

In MY opinion you are THE PERFECT candidate for a standard abdominoplasty; young (young skin heals and retracts best), thin (all changes in the underlying frame will be reflected in the outside appearance and not masked by a large layer of fat), and healthy.

The operation will remove all the stretch marks between the pubis and the present belly button, will move the above the belly button stretch marks inferiorly possibly even hide them in the underwear coverage area, flatten the tummy, narrow the waist and if a high lateral tension abdominoplasty is done lift the anterior - lateral thighs - smoothing any present cellulite dimples.

I hope this was helpful.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

You will need full tummy tuck

+2

From your pictures and the your description of the abdominal tissue, I would recommend full tummy tuck. You have stretch marks above the belly button. You do not have much fatty tissue but a lot of extra skin which make minimal procedures like Thermage, laser lipo and Titan ineffective.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+2

Because you have damaged skin above the belly button, a mini tummy tuck won't give you the look you want.  You will have a higher scar than people with lots of extra skin, but a full tummy tuck will be giving you more of the result you want.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question. I think you will be much better off with a full tummy tub procedure.

A few words of caution for future patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini or full tummy tuck

+1

After three kids, you probably need a full tummy tuck based upon the loose skin that I can see in the photo.

Mini versus limited versus full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

I would agree with most other physicians here, and state with the limited information available, that you are more likely to get a better result with a full tummy tuck. A mini would give you very limited results and you would likely be unhappy with the outcome.

Mini-tummy tuck is a lousy operation

+1

If you are willing to live with the scar required with a conventional abdominoplasty, you will be happy with the result. You can check out scars at various stages of convalescence on my website. However, for any area of the body, the more skin removed, the longer the scar (minus a few fudge factors plastic surgeons know about).

Mini-abdominoplasty is lousy operation except in very exceptional cases. From your picture, you are not one. For you, it's an abdominoplasty or nothing. You can't shrink skin so don't fall for Thermage, Laser assissted lipo, or any thing else.

You should anticipate an excellent result with a full abdominoplasty and when the scar matures (may take many months), you will be quite pleased.

By the way, it looks as though you will be rid of all your stretch marks if I am reading the photo correctly.