Upper Stomach Bulge After Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I had a Mini Tummy Tuck with Liposuction on the upper stomach. Now, my upper stomach sticks out way further than my lower stomach. Will this go down or do I need more Liposuction? It looks awful.

Upper Abdominal Bulge after Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

You should be seen by your plastic surgeon to determine the exact cause (and treatment) of the upper abdominal bulge.

A few words of caution for future patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Upper stomach bulge

+1

A mini tummy tuck will usually incorporate a lower muscle repairi. This may cause the upper muscles to bulge and now it sounds like you need those repaired

Upper stomach bulge after mini tummy tuck

+1

After a mini tummy tuck with liposuction, patients should anticipate a significant recovery process. The early stages of the process will be characterized by swelling and edema throughout the abdomen. It is possible that the swelling that you see in your upper abdomen may be a result of this post operative swelling. Once you have come toward the end of your healing process, approximately 6 to 8 months after surgery your abdomen may be reassessed. If you continue to have swelling in the upper portion of the abdomen this may be due to bulging of the muscle underneath. This may be corrected with a small procedure that would elevate your skin flap and retighten your muscles. If the bulge is due to excess fat, this may be readily fixed with limited liposuction into this area.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Diiscuss with your surgeon: too many causes to know

+1

There are many reasons for this as outlined below:

1. Early swelling aggravated by improper garment wear
  2. Disproportional fatty deposits
  3. Lack of muscle repair

No one will know the answer to this question via email. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

You may need a CT scan.

You may need liposuction of the upper abdomen at a later date. Liposuction is not generally advised at the same time as a tummy tuck due to compromise of the blood supply to the lower abdomen

Bulge may be due to loose muscles

+1

Without seeing and examining you there may be three reasons for this problem.

1. Too early in the recovery period and there may still be significant swelling from surgery and the lower part has not loosened yet.-just wait for the areas to heal completely, up to one year.

2. The covering of the muscle, fascia, has been tightened belowe the belly button but the fascia above the muscle is still loose-would need to be tightened.

3. Excess fat and or skin of upper abdomen. May need additional liposuctioning or full tummy tuck.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon