Mini Tummy Tuck with Liposuction Final Results?

I had a Mini-Tummy Tuck with Liposuction on the abdomen area slighty over a year ago. I am physically active and work out almost every day of the week. Right above my incicision, I have a small pouch or skin that is hanging.

Is this normal? Is this my final result? I was not able to go back to see my doctor as he retired, so I am not sure if I needed him to do anything else, or in time it will go down.

Final result

+2

Amber,

After one year your results are probably final. You may have some extra skin that needs to be removed. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for some advice on how to best remove it. In this economy it will be easy to find one giving free consults. Good luck!

That is your final result

+2

Amber, A year after surgery, you are looking at your final result. It would be nice if you post a picture so we can give you more specific suggestions. However, if you have hanging skin, then you likely need another surgery to excise that skin. Smartlipo may tightly your skin slightly, but if there is excessive redundancy of skin, then you need to have it surgically removed. The incision would likely not be any larger than the incision that you already have and your recovery should be faster.

David Shafer, MD

After a year things probably won't change

+2

Usually after a year the results won't change much.  Improvement can often be made with a little liposuction above the scar.  Sometimes a scar revision might help if there is some excess skin.  Either way, it doesnt sound like it would take much to improve the results.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

One year after mini tummy tuck, you have the final result

+2

To amber dall,

Hi! I would say that whatever you are looking at now is permanent. If you have hanging skin over your scar, that is not normal. You probably need a revision, which can be quite simple.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Probably time to get a new consultation

+2

Since your surgery was over a year ago you can not expect much more improvement in you final result. If you are unhappy with the loose skin above your incision you probably will need a secondary but full abdominoplasty, tummy tuck. In my experience it is rare for a patient who has had children and wants their tummy lighted up to be a candidate for anything except a full abdominoplasty. Over the past few years we have been using a modification of the technique where we preform liposuction of the abdomen and hips with or with out other areas of liposuction. We limit the areas of undermining and suture the facia of the abdominal wall to the facia of the paniculous, the abdominal skin fat flap. This makes the operation much safer, less painful and almost never requires a drain. I would encourage to find a board certified plastic surgeon who uses the newer techniques. You will be happier with a much more athletic looking abdomen.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

"Mini" Tummy Tuck after 1 year

+2

After 1 year "what you see is (most probably) what you've got. It would be best to arrange another consultation with a plastic surgeon and explore the possible options.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Final Results May Take Up To A Year

+1

It takes about a year for patients to see their final result following abdominoplasty surgery.  In your case, it’s safe to say that without revisional surgery this is your final result.

Based on your history it appears that you are happy with your overall results, but do have concerns about a small roll of tissue above your lower abdominal incision.

Correction of this problem will require a modified mini abdominoplasty with resection of excess lower abdominal tissue.  This procedure should be relatively small with a rapid recovery.

It’s important that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan to help you solve your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Results from Mini Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

+1

After a year, this would be considered the final result.  It sounds like you may have some excess skin on the upper abdomen.  

Depending on the amount of skin, it may ve able to be improved with a peri-umbilical skin excision tummy tuck, but most often requires a full revision tummy tuck.

Given your activity level, is it reasonable to assume that you may have lost weight since the tummy tuck was performed.  Sometimes significant weight loss can result in some hanging skin.

I suggest that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will examine you and discuss your treatment options accordingly.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

One year after mini tummy tuck and results are not optimal

+1

One year after surgery your results should be close to 100% therefore I do not think there is much room for improvement at this point. You should seek opinions for treatment options.

Mini tummy tuck

+1

Sounds like you need a fairly straightforward revision which probably can be done under local anesthesia.

Hope that helps!

Josh Korman MD

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon