Removing Male Love Handles - Liposuction and Mini Tummy Tuck?

I am 77 kg and used to be 117 kg. The excess skin at the bottom of my stomach isn't really visible in this picture, but you can still see my love handles. Will a mini Tummy Tuck help, especially at making my abs more noticeable? Where will my scar be? Is it possible to get Liposuction in the love handles at the same time or is that a different procedure?

Tumescent Liposculpting with Micro Canulas may be all you need !

+2

You are right, the photo doesn't show any loose skin but even a certain amount of skin laxity will be improved with just the liposculpting procedure alone which may be enough. It can be done under local anesthesia and with no ugly incisions and with a quick recovery time. Skin is elastic. Once stretched out it can contract and smooth some with techniques that either rough up or heat the underside of the reticular dermis such as the micro canulas or lasers. Traditional liposuction under general anesthesia with larger canulas could be disasterous cosmetic- wise for you and more risky. A tummy tuck procedure would probably be hard to get use to the scar no matter how low it is placed and again riskier than tumescent liposculpting with micro canulas.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends on Cause of Love Handles

+1
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to see your concern in the photo you've provided. However, if you have loose skin and this is what's causing your love handles, then liposuction will not help. Removing the skin may be your best option with a tummy tuck. 

On the other hand, if pockets of fat are the cause of your love handles then liposuction can certainly help.

Of course you should see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination to determine the most suitable treatment for you. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Male lipodystrophy patterns

+1

For men fat tends to be stored in the intra-abdominal compartment. This is visceral fat and can not be liposuctioned. This visceral fat can only be lost by diet and exercise. It is possible that you are a candidate for liposuction but an examination is required.  The risks for men are the same as for women.  The most common area men request liposuction is the lower abdomen and love handle areas.  It does not appear that you need a skin excision.

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Based on your pictures I do not think you are a candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Liposuction also may be  unnecessary.

I would suggest consultation with a well experienced/ethical board certified plastic surgeon.

Male liposuction

+1

Unless I'm not seeing something in your picture it doesn't appear that you would need a tummy tuck.  Liposuction alone should address your love handles satisfactorily.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Stick with Lipo

+1

Unless I don't see something, all you would need is lipo to address your concerns. The scars are minimal and the cost is less. You'll need to wear a binder, but Lipo seems like an ideal option for you.

Michael Kulick, MD

Liposuction is all you need.

+1

Remember that a tummy tuck leaves a scar and the scar may be quite noticeable. If you had a lot of skin the trade off would be worth it. You don't, so only do the liposuction.

Picture says a thousand words.

+1

Based on your picture a mini abdominoplasty would not be needed. Liposuction of the abdomen and flanks would be appropriate, With that you get some shrinkage of the skin, about 8-10%. There is some new methods that will result in more skin shrinkage, Lasers and a new on called Bodytite that is not yet FDA approved.

I would not recommend the tummy tuck based on your picture , but you need to consult a Plastic Surgeon.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

From your frontal view, you seem to have reasonable definition of the rectus abdominus muscles of the upper abdomen. That, in combination with liposculpture of your flanks, will help shape and define the portions of the abdominal wall that are visible in your picture.

If you truly do have significant skin excess, in general, a simple skin excision, or mini-tummy tuck, would be beneficial. This entails making a incision in the pubic region. The scar is kept low so that it is hidden in shorts or a bathing suit. The scar is only as long as it needs to be, meaning that it's the length of the redundant skin, which is usually the length of the entire pubic region. As this procedure is far less extensive than a traditional tummy tuck, most plastic surgeons feel comfortable combining this procedure with abdominal wall and flank liposuction.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD