Is a Mini Tummy Tuck Necessary or Will Liposuction Do?

I had a baby via c-section 5 months ago, I am debating whether I need a Mini Tummy Tuck of will Liposuction just do it?

Liposuction laterally plus Tummy Tuck

+3

The hanging "apron" optimally should be removed with a tummy tuck. Due to its size, a mini will not suffice. The C section scar resection alone wil not be enough to define your abdomen and remove the apron of tissue. The scar will need to be enlarged significantly.

Liposuction alone, laterally, will help sculpt you a more hourglass figure but you would be out of balance centrally. Liposuction alone in the lower area will still leave you hanging. Liposuction alone to the upper abdominal area over the umbilicus, will help improve that fullness, but I am not sure that is your focus.

You can keep working on weight loss and strengthening of you abdominal muscle over the next few months before you take the plunge.

Tummy tuck has a significant recovery and you will need to get up your strength .

See a board certified plastic surgeon that can give you all the options as I don't see lesser options such as a mini or liposuction being a great help.

Good luck.

Marin Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck vs. full tummy tuck vs liposuction

+2

Because you have very loose skin, fascia, and excess fat in the lower and upper abdomen, only a full tummy tuck will give you a good result.  Anything else will be a waste of your money and recovery time.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Liposuction vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Both liposuction and mini tummy tuck can improve the contours of the abdomen. However, liposuction cannot address excess, hanging skin that can often result from pregnancy or substantial weight gain. Liposuction can remove unwanted fat but a tummy tuck is required to trim excess skin for a smoother, leaner abdomen. Some patients may require a full tummy tuck depending on the amount of unwanted fat and skin. It is necessary to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in body contouring procedures to determine which procedure will meet your aesthetic goals.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Based on the picture you provided, you seem like an ideal candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck rather than a mini tummy tuck or liposuction alone. I recommend you lose as much post-baby weight as possible prior to proceeding with surgery to ensure the best and safest result. Once you reach your ideal goal weight, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what would be best for you. A full tummy tuck involves repair and tightening of the rectus muscles which have been stretched from pregnancy.

Once the muscles are repaired, the loose excess skin is removed as well. In some cases, liposuction is included to improve the body contours. The incision is placed and hidden underneath the undergarments or bikini bottom and usually goes from hip to hip. Recovery may vary between patient to patient, however, expect about 2 weeks down time. You are required to stay in the hunched over position for 1 month to prevent tension on the incision in the mid-section. An abdominal binder will be provided and worn for 1 month. You will have drains for 2 weeks to prevent fluid accumulation in the tissues.

Another important issue to consider is whether you are completely done having children. Plastic surgery does not guarantee permanent results and another pregnancy could require revsionary surgery. Good luck to you!

Only Full Tummy Tuck with rectus repair will help you

+1

From your photo ONLY a FULL TUMMY TUCK with Rectus repair will do. Do not waste time and $'s on a mini Tummy Tuck. I wonder who suggested that to you? Regards.

Full abdominoplasty (Tummy tuck) is the best solution for looses skin, stretch marks and lax muscles

+1

This answer is easy. No, neither will help and both are a waste of your money. Your best option to achieve an improved appearance is a full abdominoplasty. This is not without risk and you should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

Liposuction vs Tummy tuck

+1

You have quite a bit of excess skin that will remain or get worse with liposuction. If that is acceptable (as it is to some) then you can go with the lipo. If not, you really need a full tummy tuck. You really need to see pictures of what liposuction looks like in patients with excess skin to appreciate the difference.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck best for big tummy with stretch marks and loose skin

+1

From your photo, a full tummy tuck is by far your best option. Do not waste your money on liposuction alone. You will be disappointed. 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction, mini-tummy tuck, or full tummy tuck

+1

Although it would be possible to do either liposuction alone or with a mini-tummy tuck on you and get some significant reduction of the total fat content of the abdomen, the trade-offs would be generally unacceptable. You would have significant excess skin, particularly of the upper abdomen, which will not shrink. With your abdomen, I would have given you no choice other than a full tummy tuck, unless you specifically wanted to know about the other choices.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Wait six months post-partum and get a full tummy tuck

+1

You've got what appears to be a weakened abdominal wall and loose, inelastic skin above and below your belly-button. A full tummy tuck is the recommendation you'll get from any board-certified plastic surgeon that you encounter. Please don't waste your time/money/health with liposuction that promises to 'tighten skin' -- it just won't happen in your case.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS