Will a Mini Tummy Tuck and Lipo Work for Me?

Will a mini tummy tuck and lipo work for me? Not looking for a long scar hip to hip nor a completely flat stomach just improvement on my belly.

Some improvement

+2

To get the best result a full abdominoplasty would be best, however you would get some improvement if you did lipo with a mini abdominoplasty. In the picture there is excess skin above the umbilicus and after a mini this excess would still be present. 

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Will a mini-tuck work?

+1

I think that you have too much wrinkling (prune-like) of the abdomen for the mini-tuck to be a satisfactory procedure and liposuction alone may not produce an aesthetically pleasing result.  The full abdominoplasty has a slightly longer scar but this can be hidden within the pantiline and would give you the best outcome.  Also, let me add that, given your tattoos, any surgical scar can ultimately be hidden by additional inkwork so I would not consider that to be the major concern in your case.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lipo or mini vs full TT

+1

Based on your desire to avoid a hip-to-hip scar I would start with lipo alone.  Give your body plenty of time to have the skin bounce back knowing full well that you will have skin laxity present afterwards.  If this does not bother you then you will have achieved your goal and if you decide at a later date that you do want tight, smooth skin then a mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck will still be there for you as options.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mini vs full abdominoplasty

+1

the decision of a full vs. mini abdominoplasty is decided upon based on the findings at the level of the umbilicus and above. In your case by the photos you submitted, I believe you are better suited for a full abdominoplasty based on the findings at and above the umbilicus. The scar is slightly longer, but if properly placed will be well worth the procedure. I have patients bring in bikini bottoms on the morning of surgery to try to keep the scar hidden within the garment. That helps post op for coverage of the scar while it heals.

Non ablative scar laser therapy also helps make the scars less evident post op.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Full or Mini tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided, it looks like  you may be a good candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck procedure. A mini tummy tuck only involves improvement of the area below the belly button. A full tummy tuck would involve repair of the rectus muscles all the way up and removal of a majority of the loose, excess tissue in the abdominal area. A full tummy tuck would provide a tightened overall appearance of the abdominal area. In some cases, liposuction may be used to improve body contours. I see many patients who had insisted on a mini-tummy tuck to reduce the length of the scar (and the surgeon had tried to make them happy) not be satisfied after surgery and have to re-do the operation.  Make sure you do research, see before and after photos and talk to other patients who have had procedures performed by the surgeon you are choosing.

Mini Tummy-Tuck and Liposuction may be a Good Option

+1

I see many patients with a similar request that you have for an improved abdominal contour without the long scar and downtime associated with a full abdominoplasty.  It is difficult provide a specific answer by looking at your pictures, because it isn't possible to evaluate the abdominal muscle support in a photograph.  For patients that have some lower abdominal laxity following pregnancy and a moderate amount of fatty tissue, treatment options can include both a full abdominoplasty or a mini-tuck with liposuction.  With advanced techniques such as Smart Lipo Triplex, one may even get additional tightening of the upper abdominal skin that may not be possible with just a mini tummy-tuck.  There may still be some skin laxity in the upper abdomen with a mini tummy tuck, but for many patients this is an acceptable trade-off.  Seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in body-contouring in order to have your specific concerns addressed.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon