Am I a Good Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck or Laser for Tightening Skin? (photo)

I care a little more about the smoothness of my skin more than stretch marks. (Guess because it would probably be less pricey) also by the suggestions what would be an estimated cost? Thanks! : )

Here is a photo of my tummy... If you can see, there is a bit of skin around my belly button. I also have a small bump of flab underneath my belly button I want to get rid of even when I suck in my tummy it does not go away. : (

Laser liposuction is a good option for you

+3

Since you do not have a lot of loose skin and do not care about stretch marks, and your goal is primarily fat removal, I would favor SlimLipo laser assisted liposuction.

The laser does tighten slkin as well as remove fat and you will avoid the scarring associated with a mini tummy tuck.

Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in laser liposuction. these laser techniques are new and experience and knowledge on the use of the laser are essential for good safe results.

Tightening Skin

+1

To tighten the skin, you will need a tummy tuck. To determine the scope of the tummy tuck without discussing further your objectives and needs would not be prudent. Consult 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options. The surgical fees will vary widely based on geographic location and the scope of the surgery. You will be looking at any where from $6000 - $14000.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck or laser

+1

From one photo it is difficult to say for sure but a laser to tighten the skin wil probably give no more than 20-30% improvement in the skin.  A mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck normally pulls down the loose skin and aportion is removed.

Candidate for mini tummy tuck or laser (photo)

+1

I have not been impressed with the laser treatment of stretch marks and a mini tummy tuck will not treat the loose skin above the belly button. Your situation requires an extensive discussion about the options and the realistic results that could be achieved.

Mini tummy tuck vs laser lipo

+1

Although laser liposuction can tighten skin slightly, it doesn't do nearly as much as a tummy tuck. There are however cases where the skin laxity is enough to compromise the results from lipo only but not enough to justify a tummy tuck, and you would have to be examined in order to determine if that applies to you. Definitely get more than one opinion though, or at least see someone qualified to do both procedures. With the mini, there is generally no tightening of the skin above the belly button. However, looking at the photo you have a high umbi so you may do very well with a variation of a mini tummy tuck that "floats" it downward by an inch or so. This can help with the skin laxity above.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini tummy tuck is not for everyone

+1

You appear to have skin laxity above and below your belly button, plus a rectus diastais- I would recommend a standard tummy tuck- this might result in a short vertical scar between your TT scar and your belly button since you don't have a profound amount of skin laxity.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Good candidates for Mini tummy tucks

+1

A good candidate for a mini tummy tuck is the patient who does not have excess fat in the sides of the abdomen or the waist and has extra or loose skin limited to the lower abdomen below the belly button. These patients will benefit from a limited skin incision, liposuction and may receive sutures to tighten their musculature if necessary.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Addressing lax skin with tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

Looking at your photograph, I would recommend liposuction with an added energy source to help with tissue tightening. I advise all my patients that while a tummy tuck will give you the flattest possible abdomen and help with your feminine curves by doing an internal muscle repair, you must be willing to accept the scar. Take some time and look at as many photographs as you can to get an idea as to what a tummy tuck scar looks like in the best and worst cases. It is a mistake to assume you will have the best scar as all patients heal differently and even in the best of hands you cannot predict how a scar will heal.

The advantage of liposuction is that you will save yourself this scar and the recovery is usually easier. While every case is different, in your particular case, you should also consider adding an energy source such as ultrasound (VASER) or laser (my preference is SLIM from Palomar) to help tighten after the liposuction. After liposuction with proper diet and exercise you should do extremely well and have the abdomen you really want.

John Burns, MD

Tummy tuck or laser tightening

+1

Looks like you have an umbilical hernia, some muscle laxity and only a small amount of excess skin. It also appears that your belly button rides a little high. You might want to consider a sliding umbilicus tummy tuck where you muscles are tightened, the hernia fixed and your belly button lowered a bit without a scar around it. It is an apporach that not many patients would benefit from but you like you would.

None of the laser skin tightening devices offer much in the way of significant improvement.

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy skin tightening

+1

You do not appear to have much loose skin, judging from the photograph, so I don't think you'd be looking for tummy tuck. It's hard to tell how much of a fat layer there is but you could always investigate liposuction. I prefer Vaser Liposelection. To tighten the skin you can investigate Titan laser treatments. We at Rejuvenation Center have excellent results with Titan on abdominal skin.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD