Mini Tummy Tuck or Laser Stretch Mark Removal?

I am trying to find the most effective way to remove my stretch marks which are kind of bad, when I sit I seem to have some loose skin but if I stand it is not so bad. Also if I have laser surgery and wanted to get my stretchmarks removed on my legs stomach and butt would it all be the same price? Around what price would a mini tummy tuck be?

Stretch marks

+1

Stretch marks are an unsolved problem.  Laser treatments often make little improvement in them.  A mini tummy tuck only would get rid of a few lower abdominal stretch marks, since it excises relatively little skin.  In my opinion, both of these options are disappointing for stretch mark treatment.

A standard or extended TT gets rid of a lot more stretch marks, since more skin is excised.  This would be preferable, if you have enough skin laxity to do it.

In your case, the photos are a bit dark, and its hard to see exactly how high your stretch marks go.

See your local PS to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Lasers do NOT correct stretch marks.

+1

Stretch marks are scars within the deep dermis of the skin. They are caused by an excessive growth period in the skin in a short amount of time - pregnancy, weigh gain, even large pubertal growth phases. Unfortunately, creams or lasers cannot eliminate the appearance of stretch marks. The only way to eliminate stretch marks is to surgically remove that area of skin. You photos are pretty poor and impossible to give you any specific recommendations without an actual examination in person. Everyone has loose skin when they sit. If you didn't you wouldn't be able to stand upright. An abdominoplasty will not correct the stretch marks over your hips. I recommend consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to have a full examination and discussion of options, but don't be surprised if you find that those options are limited and in particular, that the stretch marks over the hips may not be able to be corrected.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tyck or laser

+1

I am not a big fan of mini tummy tucks because most patients require tightening of the muscles above and below the umbilicus and are usually also botherd by lose skin above the umbilicus.  These are all best treated by a full tummy tuck.  Laser will not remove the strethc marks.

Mini Tummy Tuck or Laser?

+1

Unfortunately,  the quality of pictures are not such that I can give you good advice.

I can tell you however the laser treatment will not be successful in the treatment of stretch marks.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Laser vs. Surgery...they are not interchangeable

+1

You may want to consider the limitations of the laser. First, lasers do not eliminate stretch marks. At most, the laser can decrease the width of the stretch marks. Second, the laser will have no effect on the lower abdominal fat. If you want to remove this and are happy with your upper abdomen, you should have a mini-abdominoplasty. It would be a shame if you spent your money on the laser and ended up having surgery anyway. If you are happy with your lower abdomen and only want minimal results, go with the laser.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon