Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck?

I had a child 3 years ago & am now 22 years old. Im still considered a thin person but i have a little bit of loose skin & stretchmarks below my bellybutton. I also have a couple stretchmarks stemming from what was once a bellybutton ring scar. My problem areas r my bellybutton & my stretchmarks. I am wondering what surgery would be best for me; I am 5'5, 124 lbs. Would a mini tuck suffice? I was also wondering if there is a surgery focusing solely on repairing the bellybutton & marks above it?

Choosing the right kind of tummy tuck

+3

An experienced body contouring surgeon can offer more choices than simply choosing between a mini and a full tummy tuck. Every patient has a somewhat unique problem that would require a specifically designed tummy tuck just for them. A number of factors need to be assessed; the skin, the muscle layer, the fatty layer, the belly button, the bony skeleton, etc. From the photograph it appears that you could benefit from a modified tummy tuck that could be done through a relatively small incision, incorporating liposuction, correction of your muscles all the way to the rib cage, floating your belly button inferiorly so as it tighten up your skin above the belly button. This is the type of a "designer" tummy tuck that does not follow a cookie cutter approach that chooses only between a mini and a full tummy tuck.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO (click below) When you are in between a mini and a full tummy tuck: the midi or marriage.

+2

A mini will not treat your upper abdominal skin. You may want to consider something in between a full and a mini. To understand this view the video below. The decision on which is best depends on your skin, fat, & muscle status.

Standard vs. mini-abdominoplasty

+1
When evaluating an abdomen several factors must be examined
  1. Skin
  2. Subcutaneous fat
  3. Anterior abdominal wall laxity
  4. Intra-abdominal fat or visceral fat
If your skin has multiple stretch marks then liposuction may not be the best option. There are modifications of an abdominoplasty but in your particular case a standard abdominoplasty would be the best choice. This will flatten the abdominal bulge, contour the abdomen with liposuction of the trunk, flanks and posterior hips, and tighten the skin. The trade off is the scar. This is an individual decision for your to make after you weigh the risks and benefits. If you want to have a flat abdomen the trade off is the scar that can be hidden by your bathing suit or underwear. With proper planning the scar can be managed. Proactive scar care is vital to obtain an aesthetic result.

Tummy Tuck May Not Be Best Option

+1
To be honest, I don't think a tummy tuck would be necessary for you. You may want to consider micro needling, which can improve the appearance of stretch marks and scarring. Laser technologies may also help.

There is belly button surgery to improve the appearance of your navel. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Consider 1540 laser not tummy tuck for belly button improvement

+1

Thank you for your question. You look thin and do not have a lot of loose abdominal skin. I do not think that you have enough skin for a full tummy tuck.

A mini tummy tuck will not help the loose skin around your belly button and stretch marks. An umbilicoplasty will leave a terrible scar.

I suggest that you try a combination of 1540 erbium fractional non-ablative laser and Lux IR Deep skin tightening to improve your stretch marks and minimally tighten the skin around your belly button. Personally I would avoid scars on your abdomen

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos, I looks like a full tummy-tuck would be more beneficial. An in-office examination would be needed to make the final call.

best,

Michael

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Mini tummy tuck or full

+1

Hi,

If you want to tighten your muscles, you need the full tummy tuck.  Your case certainly lends itself to a mini tuck for the lower abdomen.  This would not involve the movement of the belly button.

For the revision of the belly button scar, you can sometimes have concentric circles around the belly button to get rid of some of the unsightly scars in this area.

Ask your plastic surgeon.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Mini TT versus Standard Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your information and photo, it appears most of your "problems" are below the belly button. A mini tummy tuck permits improvement of skin and muscle laxity below the belly button. It will not remove the stretch marks around the belly button. To address some of your complaints of the belly button area, an "umbilicoplasty" (plastic surgical enhancement of the belly button area) could also be done at the same time to revise the scarring from the BB ring, and it can slightly tighten the surrounding skin, but it will not remove the stretchmarks below the belly button, either . You appear to have a small amount of fat in the peri-umbilical area, and liposuction may be added to the mini TT to enhance the overall result.   A full tummy tuck also corrects skin and muscle laxity (from the bottom of the breast bone to the top of the pubic bone, and surgically removes fat by cutting out the lower half of the abdominal skin and fatty tissue (usually from about just above the belly button to the top of the pubic bone), but you do not appear to have the findings to warrant such an extensive procedure when the above mentioned procedures can be done at the same surgical setting at much less risk, recuperation and cost! One last thing, consider whether you plan to have any more children.  It may be worthwhile to wait if you are considering expanding your family to 4 children! Good Luck!

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Mini tummy tuck

+1

Although your forn view photos looks pretty good, I really would have to examine you to be sure what could be offered. If you don ot like the lax skin above your belly button then only a full tummy tuck will correct that.

Bellybutton Correction

+1

After seeing your abdominal photo, I see the laxity of your upper umbilical skin, scarring and some stretch marks of your lower abdomen and around your umbilicus.  You could start with an umbilicalplasty procedure, under local anesthesia, that will directly remove the lax skin and the old bellybutton scar producing a more youthful appearance. For additional improvement, limited liposuction of your abdomen will add contour. You are 22 years old and may eventually have additional children. Therefore, I do not recommend a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) at this time.

Richard Wellington Swift, MD