Mini-tummy Tuck Instead of a Full if I'm Unsure of Having More Kids?

I have some loose skin on my belly and I want to get a tummy tuck but I'm not sure if I'm done having kids. Would a mini-tummy tuck be a better option for someone who might get pregnant later?

If you are considering more children but feel compelled to get a tummy tuck soon, then get a tummy tuck without muscle tightenin

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

If you are considering more children but feel compelled to get a tummy tuck soon, then get a tummy tuck without muscle tightening. Otherwise, wait until you are done having children for a full tummy tuck.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

Tummy tuck and future pregnancy

+1

Dear FutureMILF,

Your question is difficult to answer without examining you. Where is the loose skin ? Upper tummy, lower tummy or all over ?  Is it just  looseskin or also loose muscle ? How high is the belly button location?  These are importants issues for surgery planing. The question of tummy tuck and future pregnancy is very personal. Obviously , your present tummy condition bothers you, so proceede  with surgery after consulting with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. I have patients who got pregnant after a tummy tuck and delivered the baby with no harm. The tummy still looked quite good after the delivery and they did not ask to be re-operated. 

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck if Pregnancy Planned?

+1

It will be in your best interest to complete pregnancies prior to undergoing any type of tummy tuck surgery. For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Unsure about more children, delay a tummy tuck

+1

Mini or a full tummy tuck, you will want to select the procedure which will give you the best result, and the time and investment is significant. The only thing that makes sense is to wait until you are certain, and fix your abdomen then.

Tummy tuck and pregnancy

+1
If you are considering more children, I do not recommend surgery until you have competed your family. It is easy for us, as plastic surgeons, to say that surgery can be performed now and potentially revised later, but I always assume that my patients don't have unlimited, deep pockets and that the financial considerations are real (especially if you have to pay for college 18 years down the line!). The mini-tuck is applicable to a very limited segment of the patient population but there are other variations on the procedure. In terms of what procedure is right for you, see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation, get a price quote, and then assess whether it is worthwhile to spend the money now or later.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tucks and Pregnancy

+1

Whether you would a have a mini-, full or any version in between of a tummy tuck, its impact on subsequent pregnancies is the same...it does not affect having a child. Many women who have had full tummy tucks go on to get pregnant and deliver without any adverse effects from the prior procedure. It may not be the best approach to preserving the initial financial investment of the tummy tuck, but it does not impact the slow tissue expansion of a pregnancy.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck, and the many other options. Tummy tucks for ladies planning future pregnancies.

+1

Many patients have the idea that the only tummy tucks out there are mini tummy tucks (tightening up to the belly button but not further) or full tummy tucks (involving a hip to hip incision but tightening all the way to the breast bone).

This is not true.

In fact, there are a host of in-between tummy tucks available to suit patients' different needs.

Mini tummy tucks are fine for revising unsightly C-section scars.

Hybrid tummy tuck (R) is appropriate for fit moms with a bulge in the fascia but very little loose skin.  This usually applies for ladies who gained less than 25 pounds during their pregnancies and are fit.  It tightens the deep fascia all the way to the xiphoid.  Performance of this procedure requires proficiency with an endoscope and special instrumentation in surgery.

The extended hybrid tummy tuck (R) involves more removal of skin through a slightly longer than C-section incision, located very low.  This procedure is suited for ladies who have minimal loose skin above their belly buttons but more loose skin below their belly buttons.  Many ladies who previously were only offered full tummy tucks qualify for this procedure. 

The modified full tummy tuck involves a very low incision, removal of considerable amount of loose skin, but is performed through a low incision.  A vertical closure of the old belly button site creates a small vertical scar.  This is the trade-off for having a very low incision.

Full tummy tucks involve removal of a large amount of loose skin and full tightening up to the breast bone.

For ladies who plan on getting pregnant, it is best not to tighten the fascia.  This area has not been fullly defined, however.  Most experienced plastic surgeons have patients who had healthy pregnancies after tummy tuck procedures.  We usually caution patients that they may need to have the surgery redone if they have more children, but many women do not require additional surgery, particularly if they keep their weight gain during pregnancies down to a healthy level.

For these reasons, if patients who might have children in the future but aren't actively planning it, we feel it is reasonable to have a tummy tuck procedure.

For patients who have had massive weight loss and have a pannus, and plan on having children, we usually recommend removal of the pannus but no fascial tightening.

While having many choices makes life perhaps more complicated, it is usually better to be able to choose a more specific procedure suited for the patient's body and needs.

Brent Moelleken, MD