Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hello, I have loose stomach skin and was wondering which would be better out of a mini or full? I weighed 280 lbs and now weigh 180 but my stomach area still looks bad because of the loose skin.

Mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle prior to the procedure and afterwards is recommended in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening. This would remove the excess skin/soft tissue and stretch marks while contouring your belly. Still, I am unsure if all of your stretch marks would be removed.  The mini tummy tuck has limited usefulness and limited candidates as it truly only addresses excess skin in a small area above your pubis. It will not address your abdominal wall and the tightening of such, frequently needed to achieve a shapely abdominal wall. While the recovery time is shorter, the benefits afforded to you by a full tummy tuck are much greater and will optimize your result. You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in body contouring procedures at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Best wishes!

Procedure for tummy contouring

+1

Its difficult to tell from your photos, but given your 100lb weight loss, I think you would need a tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck.   A Mini-tummy tuck will not be a good option for you.  Please visit with a board certified PS in your area to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mini vs Full

+1

You are a candidate for a full or possibly even an extended tummy tuck.  You have a great deal of excess skin and a mini tummy tuck would likely leave you dissatisfied with your result.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck vs full

+1

The abdominoplasty procedure has been categorized into 9 different types ranging from mini to full abdominoplasty with liposuction.  

A lesser procedure referred to as panniculectomy removes the excess skin and fat without dissection much towards your ribs.

If flattening of the overhanging loose skin is your main objective than a lesser procedure may suffice. If you would llike to tighten the skin above the belly button than a more involved tummy tuck would more likely satisfy you.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck

+1

From your photos, I think a mini would be inadequate considering your loose skin and residual fat.  Mini tummy tucks have a very, very limited application.  I have found out the hard way that while patients really like the idea of a lesser procedure and quicker recovery, their eventual result is compromised unless they were truly the perfect mini tummy tuck candidate and those are few and far between.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

A full tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides and the back will give you a much better overall result than would a minitummy tuck.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Tough call over the internet. My guess is full tummy tuck is the better option for you. More in person opinions needed. 

What to do for a male after massive weight loss?

+1

As you see, you  have conflicting opinions.  I suggest you see your local plastic surgeon experienced in body contouring following weight loss and let him/her guide you through the decision process.  Nothing is more important than understanding your goals and expectations and having the opportunity to evaluate you and better understand what you are will to trade for skin removal.  There are lots of things to discuss so invest in a consultation and good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

+1

You will achieve a much better aesthetic result with a full tummy tuck after a 100 lb weight loss.  Based on your photos, it appears that you likely have skin and muscle laxity in the upper and lower abdomen.  Although there is a longer scar with a full tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck will give you a "mini" result.  Congratulations and losing and keeping off the weight, it is a great accomplishment! 

Mark Schwartz, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck male patient? (photo)

+1

As you are a male ,I would recommend a mini  tummy tuck with muscle plication and liposuction

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon