Should I Get a Mini Tummy Tuck or a Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I would like to get a Full Tummy Tuck, but I can really only afford a Mini Tummy Tuck. (I am also getting a Brazilian Butt Lift) Do you think a mini tummy tuck will make my stomach flat, and will I have nice results? I have saggy skin below my belly button, but also fat in my upper abdomen...so I am not sure what to do. I need some help, please! Thank you

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Mini Tummy Tuck or a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your photographs, a traditional abdominoplasty would be more in order. However, to confirm, it would be worthwhile to consult with 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your treatment options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Choosing the right type of Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your photos (a sitting photo would also be helpful) you would best be served with a more traditional Tummy Tuck (full abdominoplasty) that also addressed the loose skin above your belly button. Here are some guidelines of how to choose the best Tummy Tuck procedure:

‘Mini” tummy tucks can benefit patients who have a small amount of excess skin and fat or protruding of the lower abdomen (below the belly button). This operation may be done under local anesthesia with sedation, on an outpatient basis. Liposuction may be used alone or in conjunction with a tummy tuck to benefit selected patients.

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar).

Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.

Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits.  (Standard scar).

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would only offer you a full tummy tuck procedure; it will be in her best interests to continue to save and have the appropriate procedure performed.

Bulging abdominal wall

+1

Your abdominal wall distends anteriorly so you will need a full tummy tuck.  I recommend you also undergo abdominal wall repair with mesh reinforcement if you are not planning on having any future pregnancies.  This is the best technique to reinforce the abdominal wall, to create a more long lasting result, achieve weight loss and maintain the reduced weight.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Better full tummy tuck candidate

+1
While you are a better candidate for a Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty (full tummy tuck), you can get some improvement with a mini tummy tuck. I would recommend undergoing laser liposuction of your abdomen which will likely give you as good a result as a mini tummy tuck. In addition you can undergo AFT (fat transfer) to the buttock region which you mentioned. The latter is not a good procedure to be performed at the same time as an LTA.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Mini tummy tucks only treat excess skin and fat below the belly button.  Based on your photo, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck for you.   Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Should I Get a Mini Tummy Tuck or a Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Just remember a mini tummy tuck will give you a mini improvement. Is that your goal? If you want all the improvement you can get you would be well served to put off the surgery until you can afford the more appropriate operation, the full tummy tuck.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is a mini-tummy tuck good enough?

+1

Reading between the lines, I think your plastic surgeon recommended a full tummy tuck.  I would strongly agree that this would be the way to go. You have stretch marks above your belly button, meaning that you have excess skin there.  On the side view there is also some laxity in your abdominal musculature above the belly button. 

If you go with a mini-tummy tuck (even with lipo of the upper abdomen), I think you will be unhappy with the results of your upper abdomen.

Good Luck!

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+1

From your pictures and your explanations you would not be happy with a mini tummy tuck. It will not give you the improvement in the overall belly that a full tummy tuck would. You would ultimately wished you had gone with the full tummy tuck.  I would not advise compromising on that part based on finances. 

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon