Mini-Tummy Tuck, Full Tummy Tuck, Smart Lipo?

i'm considering having a "mommy makeover" and have read about a mini-tummy tuck, traditional tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and now had a friend tell me about Smart Lipo. i have lost about 25lbs through diet and exercise after my two children (i'm 25 yrs old) and i don't know what would be better for me (if i plan to have children in 5-6 years from now. i dont know if id be an ideal candidate for a mini TT or full TT or even smart lipo? what would be most recommended for me?

Mini Tummy Tuck and Smart Lipo

+2

A mini tummy tuck produces mini results.  If you can be happy with a mini improvement then possibly you can consider it.  You appear to be a candidate for a full tummy tuck or better yet wait until after all kids.   REMEMBER : it is not the technology that is a factor but it is the surgeon.  90% of all the worlds liposuction is done with small cannula tumescent, period!    A good surgeon does not need any high tech additives.  Of course the companies want to sell the product name, ie they want to merchandise.  To make money. Yes!   A poor surgeon likely couldnt get a good result with all the technology in the world.   Seek the surgeon, not a merchandised brand name.   There are dozens of companies trying to make a buck off the word LIPOSUCTION.    Its all just LIPOSUCTION but with a clever merchandizing name.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs min-tummy tuck vs smart liposuction

+2

smart liposuction only removes excess abdominal fat but it does adequately tighten abdominal skin, and does not remove stretch marks. therefore, you might be better served by undergoing a tummy tuck. the difference between a tummy tuck and  a mini-tummy tuck is that a mini-tuck does not tighten the abdominal muscles. Considering that you live in Los Angels you can cosult one of the many qualified board certified plastic surgeons in los angeles.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

+1

You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area, and they will evaluate your muscle, skin, and fat and then give a recommendation on what is best for you.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for full tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided, you appear to be an good candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose, excess skin in the abdominal region. A mini tummy tuck would only involve improvement of the abdominal area below the belly button area. Smart lipo may result in loose unattractive skin. Remember, plastic surgery is not permanent and results may be affected by factors, such as pregnancy, weight loss, and weight gain. A tummy tuck should not affect another pregnancy. Ideally, you will undergo the tummy tuck operation after you have completed having children.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Mommy makeover modification if you are going to have more children.

+1

Hi.

1)  I would not do any kind of tummy tuck if you are going to have more children.

2)  Very few plastic surgeons use SmartLipo. I think it is just marketing. But tumescent deep and superficial liposuction of your stomach will make you look better safely, going by your pictures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mini-tummy tuck vs Full Tummy Tuck vs Smart Lipo-which one is best?

+1

Thank you for the photos. The answer to your question is: it depends on what you want to achieve with the surgery.

If you want to have a tight, nice abdomen like a 17 year old teenager, then full abdominoplasty will give you the best chance of obtaining such a result.

If your concern is the looseness of your skin below your belly button (which is seen on your side photo), then a mini-tummy tuck will tighten the skin below your belly button.

Liposuction (traditional or with laser) surprisingly causes skin retraction, especially in younger patients who have minimal loose skin. The good thing about liposuction is lesser cost, faster recovery, and you can always do a tummy tuck if you are not satisfied.

However, as I alluded to earlier, the most "bang for the buck" is with a full tummy tuck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Best After Childbearing

+1

From your photos, it appears that you would have the best result with a full tummy tuck.  You have extensive stretch marks and loose skin above and below the belly button with some excess fat.  A full tummy tuck will treat both the excess fat and the loose skin - removing most of your stretch marks!  In addition, your abdominal muscles can be tightened, if needed.  Additional liposuction around the sides and waist may also be helpful.  However,  since you plan to have children in the near future, you might get by with just liposuction for now, and do a full tummy tuck after you are finished having children.  Although pregnancy and childbirth can occur without problems after a tummy tuck, you will "undo" much of your improvement.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Full tummy tuck for best results

+1

Based on your photos, I would recommend a full tummy tuck with liposuction of lovehandles for best contour and result. No role for smartlipo in your case.

Meet with a few plastic surgeons until you find one you are comfortable with.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Abdominoplasty vs "Smart" lipo

+1

Don't do anything until you are done with childbearing.  You will just get stretched out again.  That being said, from your history and photos, nothing short of a full abdominoplasty will get you the result you are likely looking for.  Beware of docs saying any sort of lipo will acheive what an abdominoplasty can.  They are likely non-surgeons who do not know how to do an abominoplasty but have a very expensive laser that comes with a lot of unrealistic promises. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Mini Tummy tuck, tummy tuck, Smart Lipo

+1

After children and weight loss, you usually end up with excess skin as well as separation of your abdominal muscles. Smart Lipo,Vaser ultrasonic liposuction and even traditional liposuction would just remove the excess fatty tissue that still may be there with little tightening of your skin. Once you have excess skin, then, unfortunately, the only way is to surgically remove it. This could be with a mini tummy tuck which would not move the belly button and not help with the excess skin above the belly button or the muscle separation.. The best result should be with a full tummy tuck, abdominoplasty. Usually, I am able to remove all the skin between the belly button and pubic hair area, thighten the abdominal muscles which narrows the waist and contour various areas of the abdomen. 

The tummy tuck can be combined with breast enlargement with or without an uplift, which together is called a mommy makeover. I would recommend you watch my videos.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon