Should I have a mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck and can you have more than one tummy tuck? (photo)

I had my first child via c section last January and my stomach stretched a lot and I'm still losing weight. We do want more children later on but I do not want to live with my stomach as it is now until my next pregnancy. Should I consider a mini now and full later? Would the mini give me decent results? If I have a full tummy tuck can I have another one later on? Also in regards to scar placement, could it be near my c section scar or could that be taken out and I have just one new single scar?

Mini vs full tummy tuck and timing

+2
It's a big surgical procedure and most of my patients wait till they're done having kids for their tt. Having said that, if you just can't wait, judging from your photos it looks like you'd have a much better result with a full tt based on the appearance of your belly button, the degree of skin laxity and distribution of stretch marks. However, you might also get some benefit from an extended mini tt, but you'd have to set your expectations reasonably. That means improvement but less complete correction.
An extended mini is an easier recovery too, especially with a baby to care for. You'll have to be content with a visible degree of improvement in the laxity below the belly button, but very little improvement above. A good way to help you decide is to have your surgeon draw the skin pattern on your tummy and "pinch simulate" the result to show what might be possible with an extended mini. Yes, that scar can completely replace your C/S scar. And yes, you can have a second full tt; I have done so on 3 of my patients and it's not a problem if the anatomy calls for that procedure. The best time for your consultation is when you've reached a reasonable goal with your weight loss and you look pretty close to that already. Hope that helps! 

Tummy tuck

+2

I believe that you´re a candidate for a mini tummy tuck but I don´t recommend it if you are still going to have future pregnancies. My suggestion would be to continue with your plans to be a Mom and just have your surgery when you take the decision of not getting pregnant anymore, after that a new picture evaluation would have to take place in order to determine what type of procedure would be necessary.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Should I have a mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck and can you have more than one tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle prior to the procedure and afterwards is recommended in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening. This would remove the excess skin/soft tissue and stretch marks while contouring your belly.  Your c-section scar would likely be removed and final incision below that level.  The procedure may be redone if needed later in life (e.g., additional ewight gain/loss/pregnancy).  The mini tummy tuck has limited usefulness and limited candidates as it truly only addresses excess skin in a small area above your pubis. It will not address your abdominal wall and the tightening of such, frequently needed to achieve a shapely abdominal wall. While the recovery time is shorter, the benefits afforded to you by a full tummy tuck are much greater and will optimize your result. You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in body contouring procedures at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tummy tuck prior to another pregnancy...

+1
If you plan to have another child soon, wait until you're done before having tucks.  If you must have something now, a mini would be adequate but scar placement and belly button options must be discussed with you and you must accept the limitations of a mini-tuck.  Best option is to have your children first and then body contouring later.

Curtis Wong, MD

Having more than one tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your questions and pictures.  Based on your pictures, it appears that you have some loose skin both below and above your belly button.  Based on those findings, a full tummy tuck would likely get you the best results.  However, a mini TT may still give you the results you desire until you are done having children.  Having a second tummy tuck is definitely an option after you are finished with childbirth.  Your scar with either procedure will be placed around the level of your C-section scar or lower and your C-section scar will be removed.  I would recommend that you finish losing your weight before undergoing any procedure.  Make sure you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Naveen Setty, MD

+1
Mini tuck improves the skin below the belly button whereas full tummy tuck improves all of the abdomen and allows for abdominal muscle tightening. Choose which procedure based on your expectation of the result. Pregnancy after tummy tuck is not a problem. The scar is usually placed very low and can remove c-section scars but not all the time depending on how low the scar is. Complete your weight loss prior to TT surgey for best result. 

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you desire the wrinkled skin above and below the bb than ONLY a full Tummy Tuck will give you the result needed.//

Mini versus full tummy tuck

+1
Whittles308:
your photos are great, thanks for sharing them.  Yours is a great Q, not often asked but often considered.  What I can extract from it, putting myself in your place is this:  can I have a Mini abdominoplasty now to then have a regular abdominoplasty later on and not alter my final outcome, I hope to be pregnant again.
The simple answer, hopefully something you want to hear, is yes! you can have a mini and years later an abdominoplasty.
the operations address similar (but different) areas of skin on the abdomen so to conclude if there would be any difference in the final, ultimate outcome without at least a physical exam would be inaccurate.  Most patients wait until they're done to be honest, but some need that pooch to be gone ASAP.
 Please come in so that I can give you a true assessment, we're just down the street.  I operate in Plano, Dallas and Frisco so we'll work something out for you.  I also have can office at Spring Creek off the tollway in Plano.  Until then, the real answer to your question can't be formally established, good news is that my consultations for this are free!  Please mention Real Self.
look forward to meeting you soon.

DoctorMeade (my webpage is demolished right now, sorry, under construction- we have plenty if photos in the office)

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Mini or full TT, can I have more than 1 TT

+1

Thank you for your question. You can have more than 1 TT, but it adds expense. Plastic Surgeons usually recommend you complete your pregnancies and then correct the residual issues. You appear to have laxity both above and below the umbilicus, of both skin and fascia (muscle layer). I think you are a candidate for a full TT based on your photos. The scar should end up where your c section scar is located. Paying for a TT 2X, is your decision. I would suggest you discuss things with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that performs TT regularly. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

+1
The scar with either can likely be at the level of the C-section scar or lower.  Tummy tuck will produce the better result.

Find a plastic surgeon with elite credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.