Is Mini Tummy Tuck a Better Option for a Fit Patient?

I'm 5'9", 145 lbs, and 30 years old. My doctor recommended a Mini tummy tuck for me rather than a full, because my body is long and I am fit.

He informed me due to my length in order to do a full Tummy tuck on me I would have to have an incision up the center of my tummy as well.

I have read that women are unhappy with their mini's because of a disproportionate appearance, or a donut look on the top half of their abdomen. Is a Mini tummy tuck really a good option for me? What are your thoughts?

Mini may be a good option for you

+2

I believe the mini is a very reasonable option for you based on the limited information and photograph. A mini will treat loose skin, muscle and localized fat beneath the belly button whereas the full tummy tuck will treat the upper abdomen as well.

It appears that your upper abdomen is in satisfactory condition with good muscle and skin tone. Therefore I believe the mini is a good option.

There is another intermediate procedure called the hybrid or marriage abdominoplasty which you may want to review.

Full tummy tuck

+1

Just from the photo, it looks to me like you would be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck. An exam would be definitive.

Benefits of a mini tummy tuck

+1

There are very few women who could benefit from a "mini" tummy tuck. However, based on the information and photo you provided, you are an excellent candidate for a mini since you do not require and work above the belly button area. Your belly button is in great condition and you are in top shape. You will not be left with the "donut" look, so do not worry about that. Make sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery. They will be able to discuss your options with you, since every woman's case is unique.

Mini tummy tuck not necessary if little loose skin.

+1

Hi.

I don't think you need a mini tummy tuck OR a full tummy tuck.  Judging from your picture, You will do great just with superficial liposuction (Gasparotti technique) and subdermal tunnelling.  Minimal recovery and no scar.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mini Tummy Tucks give excellent results in the appropriate patients

+1

Based on your description and photograph, you do seem to be a good candidate for a mini, (or lower tummy tuck). Your upper abdomen is thin and fit. It appears that most of your laxity in located in the lower abdomen which the mini procedure can address. We usually address three issues with a tummy tuck: excess skin, excess fat and loose abdominal muscles. Your physician can determine the quality of your muscles during the physical exam and this is hard to determine just from a photograph.

The donut appearance that you describe in the upper abdomen in women who have had lower abdominoplasty, usually occurs in patients who have more skin and subcutaneous tissue than you seem to have.

Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in these procedures. Be sure to discuss these concerns and have your questions fully answered before proceeding with the surgery.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon