Mini Tummy Tuck for Diastasis?

I just had twins and my stomach bulges out when I bend over. My doctor tells me I have diastasis. What are the advantages of having a mini tummy tuck to repair the diastasis?

Mini tummy tuck surgery and repair of the muscle laxity

+1

A full tummy tuck will address the rectus diastasis above and below your belly button.  Although a mini tummy tuck has a shorter scar, it is difficult to repair the entire rectus diastasis through such a small incision. Surgery90210

Mini Tummy Tuck to Treat Diastasis

+1

Mini tummy tucks do not treat rectus diastasis, only a standard abdominoplasty treats this problem both above and below the umbilicus.  Through the mini-tummy tuck incision it is possible to tighten the lower portion of the rectus muscles, but this only puts pressure on the abdomen and creates a flat lower abdomen with a bulge over the umbilicus in the upper abdomen. 

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis and mini tummy tuck

+1

I am not a big fan of mini tummy tucks because most patients require tightening of the muscles above and below the umbilicus and are usually also bothered by lose skin above the umbilicus.  These are all best treated by a full tummy tuck.

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+1

There is an excellent chance that you have fullness both above and below the belly button, and with a history for having twins this is certainly believable.  If this is the case, I would understand that a full abdominoplasty would be better suited for you.  This would give you a very supportive abdomen, would also allow the removal of excessive skin and fat from the abdomen in a more complete way.  I don't believe a mini tummy tuck  would be as good for you.  Always follow the advice of your most trusted Plastic Surgeon in your community for guidance.

Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Mini tummy tuck

+1

Minitummy tucks are often sought by women thinking that it might be better than full tummy tucks but that is often not the case.  It is very rare that I will do a mini-tuck because more often than not...women have diastasis that involves the whole abdomen.  Also, if you pinch the skin above the belly button and find that there is a lot of laxity of the skin, then a full tummy tuck will give the best result.  Before you settle to have a mini tummy tuck, make sure you ask a lot of questions pertaining to the skin laxity.

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Is mini-tuck effective for diastasis?

+1
I have operated on patients who have given birth to triplets. When a woman has a ventral hernia or diastasis, she will be a good candidate for a full abdominoplasty but the mini-tuck will not be the procedure of choice It will not improve the bulging which has resulted from the diastasis of the musculature. I would not dismiss mini-tuck as producing limited results for everyone because some patients do benefit from the procedure, but do not think that it is recommended for you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Mini TT not for you

+1

Almost no one is truly a good candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty.  Those few I have seen have not had children at all.  If you had twins your muscles were pulled apart all the way to your breastbone.  Tightening the muscles that far up requires the exposure of a full abdominoplasty.  You might want a really short scar, too, but chances are good that it will need to be longer than you imagine.  These days the scars are low and although it takes about a year and a half for them to fade completely, they will.  Do what needs to be done and you won't regret it.  You wil be so happy nothing else will matter.  I am.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Mini-Tummy Tuck To Fix My Diastasis

+1

Thank you for your question.  Without photos, it is really impossible to give you a precise answer.  From your description, I do not believe you will be very happy with a mini-abdominoplasty's results.  A mini-tummy tuck can remove a small amount of skin and fatty tissue from the lower abdomen but not a lot and at the same time you can also repair a diastasis of the lower abdominal muscles.  Unfortunately, from your description, it appears that you would need a larger procedure to get your desired result; most likely a full abdominoplasty.  While this procedure has a longer incision and resulting scar, the long-term results are usually much better.  All abdominoplasties are really a trade; you are trading getting rid of something that is hard to hide in clothing, swimwear, and undergarments for a line that can be hidden under most clothing and swimsuits and will fade over time.

Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for a more detailed discussion.  Good Luck from a father of twins!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck for Diastasis?

+1

A true diastasis is above and below the umbilicus so a mini tummy tuck will not address the above split. Thus you may need a full TT. Best to see in person a boarded PS in your area for advise. 

No mini tummy tucks after twins

+1

There is virtually no way that after twins, you don't have muscle laxity and skin excess above the umbilicus as well as below it.  A miniTT is a very rare operation when properly selected as it only addresses the issues beolw the umbilicus.  If that were all you had done, the upper abdomen would stick out more just like squeezing a tube of toothpaste in the wrong place. Either consider a full tummy tuck or nothing.  Of course, this doesn't constitute a consultation or medical advice.  See a plastic surgeon for an exam.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS