Worried About Belly Button After Mini Tummy Tuck

I just had my mini TT about 2 wks ago. All went fine. The pain was less than during a c-section. I'm worried about the way the belly button looks. It looks like a line with two folds around it. My doc said to start packing it which I'm doing but once I remove the gauze and tape, it folds back into a line. I can't see how the skin will spread apart but I'm still hopeful. Is this the normal healing process for the belly button because the pictures that I've seen show very tight skin around the navel. Will time fix this???

Belly Button Appearance After a Tummy Tuck

+4
A full abdominoplasty requires the surgical creation of a new belly button. Follow the link below to vie pohotos of belly buttons on my website. Creating the new belly button, which is called an umbilicoplasty, is a part of tummy tuck surgery that requires a great deal of attention and finesse on the part of the surgeon. My goal is to create a new belly button that, as much as possible, resembles a 'natural' belly button. Natural belly buttons do NOT look like a perfect circle, and circular umbilicoplasty scars are a tummy tuck dead giveaway.
The technique I use for umbilicoplasty is designed to create a slightly 'hooded' appearance to the upper half of the belly button, an appearance that is generally considered fit and athletic. Not all patients have the goal of wearing a two-piece swimsuit, but many do, and I want these patients to be able to do so without feeling self-conscious about the appearance of their new belly button.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

The skin will relax over several weeks to months

+3

Betty,

Don't worry. You are only two weeks after surgery. Your skin is very tight and also very swollen. This will distort your belly button to some degree. It is unclear from your question whether there is an incision around your belly button. If you had a "mini tummy tuck," then you should only have an incision at your panty line. In either case, however, you will be very surprised how much the skin will relax and appear more natural after several weeks to months. I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

It is very common for the belly button to get stretched during a mini-tummy tuck.  This results in vertical orientation of the belly button.  This will gradually settle with time as the lower abdominal skin loosens up.  Also, a vertically oriented navel is meant to be more attractive than a round or horizonatl navel.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Belly button after mini-tummy tuck

+2

The belly button is pulled on when you have a mini-tummy tuck as the lower skin is removed.  Usually this will settle down a bit with time.

Peri Umbilical Scars

+1

One of the advantages of a mini abdominoplasty is the absence of peri umbilical scars.  In an effort to avoid these scars compromises are sometimes made.  Theses may include not tightening the upper abdominal muscles or removing excess upper abdominal skin.

In the early post-operative period this can result in a transition zone between the tight lower abdomen and relatively lax upper abdomen.  This transition occurs at the point where the umbilicus is fixed to the skin and this is why distortion occurs in this area.

The vertically oriented line of the umbilicus with adjacent folds is the type of distortion that would be expected under these circumstances.  This is an entirely normal phenomena and should improve with time as the lower abdominal skin relaxes.  In some cases remodeling can be facilitated with the use of stents and modified dressings.

It’s still very early in the post-operative course and remodeling will probably occur.  Be patient and make sure you discuss the issue with your surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button

+1

I would wait, since two weeks is very early. The taught skin will relax over time and i bet you will be pleased. The vertical nature of your belly button is based on the pull of your skin. Again, give it time.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Belly button appearance after mini tummy tuck

+1

That is one of the potential downsides of a mini tummy tuck.  The belly button is not usually rejuvenated.  Give it more time as it may improve a little more.  You can undergo a peri-umbilical  skin excision which may help this but it still will not look as good as if it were completely rejuvenated.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Belly Button and Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

There are a variety of incisions used to recreate the belly button or umbilicus during a tummy tuck.  The initial appearance will change when the swelling goes down and the car matures. 

I needed there are some revision procedure that can be performed to improve the appearance.of the belly button following mini tummy tuck.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Belly button after tummy tuck

+1

Belly buttons are tough.

If your belly button looks slit like after a Mini tummy tuck (where there usually is no scar at the belly button), it is likely due to the pull of the skin, and may be hard to round out.

You can try the marble trick to round it out a little, which can have small success.

If there is a scar at the belly button, then many other factors come in: how is your scar? is it soft? how was it inset? did you keloid? etc.

A key to remember: you are JUST after surgery. When you are two weeks after surgery, it is tough to tell what is "real" and what is "artifact"- a lot of what we see while you heal is due to swelling and inflammation, and when it settles down it looks fine.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Belly button appearance immediately after mini tummy tuck

+1

At two weeks out from surgery, it is too early to tell what your final result will evolve into...I am sure your surgeon prepared you for the changes you will see immediately after surgery and what to expect in the coming 3-6 months and even beyond as most scars are fully healed at 12 months. Although tough to swallow, time is sometimes the best medicine...keep up with your surgeon's recommedations as he/she has the best view or vantage point to monitor your progress.

Good Luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD