Is it Possible To Do A Mini Tuck With Using The Belly Button As Scar Placement? (photo)

I gained minimally with my son but he was huge so my stomach stretched significantly leaving lots of marks and extra skin. I have minimal ab separation (now) and good muscle tone except for the excess skin. But I don't know if trading in a large scar is worth it to get rid of the marks/skin. For someone with minimal skin removal needed is it possible to just remove the pouch of skin and close it back up into a belly button scar?

Mini tummy tuck through the belly button.

+1
Only a very limited amount of skin could be removed through an incision around the belly button before distortion occurs (think of pulling a laundry sack tight and think of the wrinkles around the opening).  To visualize what is possible an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is your best bet.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tuck With Using The Belly Button As Scar Placement?

+1

It may sound like a nice idea, but unfortunately, it doesn't work,  Incisions around the navel alone are pretty much only useful to change the shape of a navel, usually one that is too wide. A surgeon can only remove a very small amount of skin around such a small circular incision without getting unacceptable scarring. 

Without an exam, I can't tell how much skin excess you have, but a consult with a plastic surgeon based on an actual exam will get you better advice than our reponses based only upon photos. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Always chose the incision length that gives you the best result.

+1

Although it would be ideal, removal of skin in a circular or semicircular fashion around the belly button is not recommended as this will neither give you the result that you are searching for nor a good incision/scar.  If you can imagine a fine very thin final incision line near your pubic bone with most of the stretch marks removed you may begin to appreciate the pros and cons of a flatter stomach with only a few stretch marks now located in your underwear line.  The length of the incision when it is good quality and located in a hidden area should be less important than the final result.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD