Will Mini TT Work for Me? (photo)

I have been thinking about doing this since I had my third child (three years ago). I originally wanted a full TT but the PS I saw thought a mini TT would be better for me. I have had 3 previous C sections and work out like a fiend. I am 5'7 and 130 pounds. There is a a part of my stomach that I absolutely hate...it is the part above my C-Sections. It is not exactly fat but does protrude a little and also when bending over a wrinkly nasty look that I hate. Do you think a mini will work?

Good Candidate for Mini Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You should be proud of  the appearance of your abdominal wall after 3 pregnancies. Exactly what operation will best meet your goals will depend on physical examination. Online consultants cannot provide you with specific enough advice based on the photographs provided.  

Generally speaking, inmy opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Mini tummy tuck after 3 C Sections

+2

The physical exam is the key to your answer.  If you tighten your abdominal muscles in a sit up, do you feel a gap between the muscles?  If so, your tummy tuck, no matter what the name, will require a muscle repair.  Beware of techniques that only tighten the muscle below the umbilicus, as this may result in a postoperative bulge above the umbilicus, where the muscle still has a gap.  If the muscles are absolutely strong with no gap, then a more limited procedure may help, but make sure your surgeon carefully evaluates the degree of skin looseness above the belly button.  Best of luck.

John Q. Cook, MD

Lower abdominal laxity and a mini-tummy tuck.

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell with only profile photos what would suit you best. A traditional tummy tuck is indicated for excess skin in the upper and lower abdomen. Some women simply have looseness in the lower abdomen and a slight bulge. Correction of these issues can be performed with a mini-tummy tuck and plication of the lower rectus muscles. I would recommend seeing at least 2 board certified plastic surgeons before making a decision.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to tell from photos

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  A straight front view photo would be helpful.  You should keep in mind that its only a small group of abdominal contouring patients that are good candidates for a mini tummy tuck.  This may be you but it is hard to know from the photos youve included.  I would have a few more consults with well trained plastic surgeons and verify that a mini tummy tuck is in fact a good option for you.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Will Mini TT Work for Me?

+1

There is no fixed definition of a mini-TT with which all surgeons or patients would agree. My definition is a TT limited to the lower abdomen, that is needing no improvement above the navel.  I cannot quite tell what all the issues are from this photo. 

The ideal mini-TT patient has a solid abdominal wall, and some lower abdominal skin hanging over a c-section scar. I cannot tell from the photo if skin excess is an issue of if it is just the abdominal wall laxity and bulge. If there isn't skin excess, the abdominal wall tightening can be done through a smaller incision than is usual. 

When anyone bends forward, the lower abdominal skin will buckle. If a surgeon made you tight enough to not have this happen, you would not be able to stand. The skin is not elastic enough to appear tight in the bent forward posture. 

Your surgeon bay be right, but since most people thinking about a mini-TT need more, I would consider a second opinion.

Thanks for your question, and best wishes.